Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control stopped working, so after researching some I decided to replace the cruise control release switch that points downward on the master cylinder. Part No. SW-6350.

Anyway, the old part was completely rusted, and something must've broken off when I was taking it out. I am unable to get the threads to catch with the new part, and even the old part.

Can you still drive without that part, or will all of the brake fluid eventually leak out?

Do I need a new master cylinder?

Other options or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
My cruise control stopped working, so after researching some I decided to replace the cruise control release switch that points downward on the master cylinder. Part No. SW-6350.

Anyway, the old part was completely rusted, and something must've broken off when I was taking it out. I am unable to get the threads to catch with the new part, and even the old part.

Can you still drive without that part, or will all of the brake fluid eventually leak out?

Do I need a new master cylinder?

Other options or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,668 Posts
This switch?

Looks like it threads into the system.

To confirm if you are correct, depress the brake pedal very slightly. If fluid comes out that is the answer

Which is strange because I thought Ford stopped doing that kind of thing in the mid-1960s. Threaded switches in the brake system

Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that part, but it will not thread into the master cylinder. I think a piece from the old part broke off inside. I guess I'll be replacing the whole thing.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Fluid will not come out of the master cylinder
Watch the Video
I says no loss of fluid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't come out when the van is just sitting there, but it squirts out as soon as you hit the brake pedal. I'll have to replace the master cylinder. That kinda blows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts