Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my power asist has problems assisting. similar to what everyone is talking how you turn the ignition off and turn it back on and the steering is there. there is no power steering more then is. i have read all the horror stories about having to pay 1400 for a new column. i talked to someone who works at ford and he said they are not alloud to take steering columns apart thats why the replace them. i read on here someone took thier column apart and replaced a sensor in the column and that fixed it. i am wondering if anyone else has had any luck with this. i am mechanically inclined enough to do it, i asked that person if they had any issues and they have not replied yet. the replacement sensor was a dorman brand. i called the company dorman and asked thier tech support if this sensor was calibrated or or if i had to take it somewhere to get it calibrated. he told me there was a 50/50 chance depending on how the condition of the old one was when taking it out. that told me one thing he had no clue as to what he was talking about. im just trying to get some more info on this. the dorman sensor is around 170.00. i would much rather go that route the the 1400 route. my fear is i replace the sensor and i am in the same boat i began with. i will park the vehicle on a train tracks and walk away from it before i drop 1500.00 on a new column. any input would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Neckdelight,
Yes, I had the torque sensor replaced because that's what FORD suggested. they gave me two choices after they scanned my Escape.
1. To replace the sensor (cost of $220 for part)
2.Replace the column (cost of $790 for part)

I obviously chose the sensor to be replaced. Anyways, when I went to pick my Escape up after it was repaired, the service manager advised that the steering column now needed to be replaced and to boot, would cost me another 1400 hundo (parts labor etc included).

From my experience, DO NOT replace the sensor as you will eventually have to replace the whole column. My bad luck, it happened while they were repairing the sensor.
If we all complain to Ford, i don't see how this doesn't get recalled.. its only a matter of time before someone gets really hurt or even dead because of this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no reason the replace the column. If you look at the design, unless the electric motor fails (which is highly unlikely, and not why these units fail), there is no plausible explanation as to why a dealership would make this recommendation.

It a sensor failure. The steering column is a piece of steel. Unless you crash your car, light it on fire, or some other catastrophic occurrence takes place, I would not recommend making the $1500 dealership repair.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, then what needs to be replaced?

I have my Escape now and it's terrible to drive. Turning one way is much more difficult than turning the other. Ford said that they calibrated it several times with the same result.

Please add your two cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, then what needs to be replaced?

I have my Escape now and it's terrible to drive. Turning one way is much more difficult than turning the other. Ford said that they calibrated it several times with the same result.

Please add your two cents
Did they replace it with the Dorman part? Are you confident in the repair abilities of the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No clue, I can get the part number if you want... All they told me is that they replaced the torque sensor, which was the code returned after the scan. They replaced the part and noticed the steering problem. They went to the "hotline" and it advised to replace the steering column. Confident in the dealership? I went all the way up to Marty Giles to look over the inspection and work that was done. He says he stands by the work that was done, but would refund the cost of the sensor, since it's being replaced again with the new column. If the owner signs off on the work that was done and the process they followed, who am I to tell him he's doing a wrong job??

·
Registered
9 Posts
No clue, I can get the part number if you want... All they told me is that they replaced the torque sensor, which was the code returned after the scan. They replaced the part and noticed the steering problem. They went to the "hotline" and it advised to replace the steering column. Confident in the dealership? I went all the way up to Marty Giles to look over the inspection and work that was done. He says he stands by the work that was done, but would refund the cost of the sensor, since it's being replaced again with the new column. If the owner signs off on the work that was done and the process they followed, who am I to tell him he's doing a wrong job??
Sounds like a second defective sensor, or an incorrect calibration.

If you look at the steering column, you'll see that its a shaft from the steering wheel which goes to a set of gears. These gears are connected to the electric motor which assist you turning. These gears are then hooked up to the output shaft which then continues outward from the cabin to your steering assemblies.

The sensor sends an indication to the motor as to which way you are turning and how much steering assistance it needs to give. The only plausible explanation to your situation is:
A) the sensor is sending a bad signal.
B) the calibration is off, and its thus the motor is not assisting as it should.

Replacing the steering column could help, but its just as effective as replacing the sensor again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so my power asist has problems assisting. similar to what everyone is talking how you turn the ignition off and turn it back on and the steering is there. there is no power steering more then is. i have read all the horror stories about having to pay 1400 for a new column. i talked to someone who works at ford and he said they are not alloud to take steering columns apart thats why the replace them. i read on here someone took thier column apart and replaced a sensor in the column and that fixed it. i am wondering if anyone else has had any luck with this. i am mechanically inclined enough to do it, i asked that person if they had any issues and they have not replied yet. the replacement sensor was a dorman brand. i called the company dorman and asked thier tech support if this sensor was calibrated or or if i had to take it somewhere to get it calibrated. he told me there was a 50/50 chance depending on how the condition of the old one was when taking it out. that told me one thing he had no clue as to what he was talking about. im just trying to get some more info on this. the dorman sensor is around 170.00. i would much rather go that route the the 1400 route. my fear is i replace the sensor and i am in the same boat i began with. i will park the vehicle on a train tracks and walk away from it before i drop 1500.00 on a new column. any input would be greatly appriciated.
I can understand your frustration; I have gone through this almost the same time last year. We need to raise awareness as drivers of these defective vehicles so that we can save some lives. Just last night I watched the CEO of General Motors apologizing on National Television for making defective cars and holding off on issuing recalls in a timely manner. It is just a matter of time Ford will have to apologize for lives lost due to this defective power steering issue on Ford Escape.
If you live in Canada, please contact Transport Canada, Defect Investigation Division:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-defectinvestigations-index-76.htm

To report a suspected safety-related defect or to obtain information about a recall or an investigation, call:

1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada)

819-994-3328 (in the Gatineau-Ottawa area or internationally)

Our telephone service is available Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time, as applicable. After hours, please leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.

If you live in the US please contact your Federal Transport Safety Department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to be getting the sensor. and tearing the column apart and replacing it.i have been driving it with no power steering. it steers you just have to be ready for it not to steer and use two hands. kinda funny i used to drive my dads 1949 f100 that steered better. i can turn the ignition off on the escape and turn it back on and the power assist is there then all of the sudden its gone. i dont think driving it like this will cause any damage right?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 Escape and lost the steering while driving on the interstate! Had to pay $2,000. to have it repaired! Ford should be recalling this issue.. Luckily I was not killed. Wrote Ford and have not received a reply. Will be going to our TV station in NYC to their consumer affairs dept so they can report on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Maureen Donohue
Did you ever take up this issue with your local TV station? I'm considering doing the same here in AZ for the same problem on a 2008 Ford Escape and was wondering if you had any success. If so, could you point me to the station you used so that I can learn more about their investigation?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
@Maureen Donohue
Did you ever take up this issue with your local TV station? I'm considering doing the same here in AZ for the same problem on a 2008 Ford Escape and was wondering if you had any success. If so, could you point me to the station you used so that I can learn more about their investigation?
I would check your dealer and see if there is a recall

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gentlemen, good morning. I want to say I'm FRUSTRATED. I've been using ford for the past eight years, but right now I'm disappointed. The last two vehicles I've own had came with factory defects, ford vehicles are the worse.
A month ago, out of nowhere, I was leaving a coffee shop with my wife, we hopped in the car and the steering wheel was HARD and stiffed.
I took my car to my trusted mechanic, who scanned it and saw a fault code on the ecu, he ended up recalibrating the system and the trouble was gone. Yesterday, when I turned my car to go to work, the steering wheel was stuck again. I took it again to my mechanic and he mentioned he did not find any fault codes.
My question is, has someone over here been able to correct this problem just changing the sensor with the dorman one that is sold on ebay? I cannot afford changing the whole column.
I live in Honduras, Central America, the roads here are not flat and straight as in the US, a failure on the road could mean my death.

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
You have posted in an old thread. And I am not familar with the above vehcile concern however waiting for a reply from some one else may be more frustrating

It would help us to help you if you gave some more details.
Year and model of vehicle? - I could assume a 2008 Escape and I don't like assuming
Mileage?
What was the code shown in the past repair?
What sensor are you referring to that is offered on ebay?
When you took the vehicle to the mechanic the second time could he duplicate the concern?
Did he offer any solutions?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for such a quick response, for my help, here is some more information:

Year and model of vehicle? Ford Escape, 2009, xlt, 4cil.
Mileage: 62,000
What was the code shown in the past repair: Im sorry, dont remember.
What sensor are you referring to that is offered on ebay? Is the Dorman 905-524
When you took the vehicle to the mechanic the second time could he duplicate the concern? Did he offer any solutions? He offered to change the entire column.

I shown him this tutorial, he thinks he might fix my issue following it.

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
I guess I don't have much to offer.
That sensor generates a signal. If the signal isn't correct the steering is going to be an issue. Replacement of the sensor seems to make sense. And with anything electronic some tips are necessary.

Clean is cool. Make sure connector and placement of sensor in very clean.
Alignment of the sensor if there is any adjustment can be critical.
If the old sensor was generating any signal and the new sensor will generate a correct signal know that the system may need some time to get used to the new correct signal. If there is a calibrating process such as trning the wheel lock to lock make sure that process is done in a manner needed.

I have seen too many new parts (especially electronic parts) get installed incorrectly and the concern gets worse or changes to some degree and isn't operating correctly. Vehicles are very complex now and more expensive to deliver features unheard of in years past.

Good luck my friend.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 20 of 22 Posts