Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
so my power asist has problems assisting. similar to what everyone is talking how you turn the ignition off and turn it back on and the steering is there. there is no power steering more then is. i have read all the horror stories about having to pay 1400 for a new column. i talked to someone who works at ford and he said they are not alloud to take steering columns apart thats why the replace them. i read on here someone took thier column apart and replaced a sensor in the column and that fixed it. i am wondering if anyone else has had any luck with this. i am mechanically inclined enough to do it, i asked that person if they had any issues and they have not replied yet. the replacement sensor was a dorman brand. i called the company dorman and asked thier tech support if this sensor was calibrated or or if i had to take it somewhere to get it calibrated. he told me there was a 50/50 chance depending on how the condition of the old one was when taking it out. that told me one thing he had no clue as to what he was talking about. im just trying to get some more info on this. the dorman sensor is around 170.00. i would much rather go that route the the 1400 route. my fear is i replace the sensor and i am in the same boat i began with. i will park the vehicle on a train tracks and walk away from it before i drop 1500.00 on a new column. any input would be greatly appriciated.
Hey coming to you from 2021! Just started experiencing this problem, yet when I looked up the recalls for my VIN, the recall had already been used to fix this same issue. I was wondering how well the sensor worked for you? The wrench light came on but the car was still functioning fine, and the next day, I was trying to leave the house, and could not steer the car without exerting more force.

·
Super Moderator
13,959 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Hopefully you get a reply for this 5+ year old thread

Action

21 - 22 of 22 Posts