Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have an '08 with about 150,000 miles on it. Last year battery would die constantly, after 3 new ones and a good alternator I stopped engaging the car alarm and would lock the car doors as soon as I got out to make sure the dome lights went off and that seemed to do the trick. Also this past year my lights for the dash and radio will get very dim while driving, I'll hear a click and then they'll be back to normal. Just a few days ago I was on the highway when all of the dash warning lights came on, speedometer dropped to 0 and said to check the charging system, went off after a few minutes, came back on a few minutes later for about 5 minutes then went away, I turned off my radio and heater and tried to dim the car lights but they seemed not to dim at all. Went to start the car the next day, had to manually open with the key, nothing in car worked and car would not turn over and did not have the "click" when trying to turn over (didn't have time to try and jump it yet). Does this seem more electrical or like the alternator? Don't went to spend a fortune to have it "fixed"

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
The alternator is electrical.

You need to have the system diagnosed before throwing parts at it. First step is to fully charge up the battery so the engine can be started. Then a check of the charging system can be made with the engine running.

Or you can remove the alternator & battery and have them tested individually. These are the two most common pieces in the system that can be an issue. There are other parts and if the battery and alternator test good then a running test with the engine on would be called for.

In addition to the charging system ..... you may have a drain on the battery when the engine is off and the car is locked. This drain can be checked with a volt meter and the vehicle totally off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have an '08 with about 150,000 miles on it. Last year battery would die constantly, after 3 new ones and a good alternator I stopped engaging the car alarm and would lock the car doors as soon as I got out to make sure the dome lights went off and that seemed to do the trick. Also this past year my lights for the dash and radio will get very dim while driving, I'll hear a click and then they'll be back to normal. Just a few days ago I was on the highway when all of the dash warning lights came on, speedometer dropped to 0 and said to check the charging system, went off after a few minutes, came back on a few minutes later for about 5 minutes then went away, I turned off my radio and heater and tried to dim the car lights but they seemed not to dim at all. Went to start the car the next day, had to manually open with the key, nothing in car worked and car would not turn over and did not have the "click" when trying to turn over (didn't have time to try and jump it yet). Does this seem more electrical or like the alternator? Don't went to spend a fortune to have it "fixed"
What did you end up finding out was wrong with it? Mine is doing the same thing.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
Welcome to the FFO, Beth!

Hopefully after 4 years the OP will reply.
If now start a new thread and we will do our best to help you out.

>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.