Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dashboard Lights.jpg
Hello Everyone! I’m having some issues with my FWD V6 Ford Escape and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or could help me diagnose the problem!

Last winter, the vehicle was involved in a minor front end collision which caused damage to the front passenger side of the bumper. The bumper and passenger side headlight was replaced and it seemed to be back to running shape. However I did begin to notice that all the lights on the dashboard would occasionally light up and I would lose my rpm and speed gauge but then it would suddenly return to normal.

During the summer it got much worse and I realized that the vehicle would not start while all the lights on the dashboard were on. It seems like the issue is temperature dependent as it would always start in the mornings, but it would fail to start in the middle of the day and now that it’s winter, it happens much less.

The battery was replaced and the Ford dealer wasn’t able to replicate the problem but they thought it might possibly be the computer. I really appreciate any tips or information anyone might have as I’m stumped. I attached a photo of the dashboard lit up if that helps at all (Don't mind the oil change required message I keep forgetting to reset it).

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

How many miles on the odometer?
With the engine running do all of the warning light go out?

For clarity, fail to start means, engine cranks it just does not run, correct?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The car has around 93,000 miles. No, the lights can occur with or without the engine running. And it's an all or nothing type of deal. All the lights turn on and I lose my rpm and speed and then all of them shut off and I gain them back. If the engine runs for awhile the lights turn on much more frequently. I can be driving along and, for seemingly no reason, the lights turn on and will randomly turn off. I hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the engine does not crank. Nothing happens when I turn the key and the dashboard lights are on

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The amber light in the lower left is an electronic accelerator indicator. One of the amber lights in the center is a check engine light. The lights are too blurry for me to tell.

I would suspect there are codes in memory for the electronic engine controls if either of those two lamp went on while the engine was running. Have the codes pulled. This can be done for free at a fast moving parts store like Autozone.

Then post those results.

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every light on the dashboard lights up. The other amber ones are the seat belt light, the traction control light, and the gas gauge. I should also add that while the lights are on the AC does NOT blow cold air but when they shut off it does. I'll get the codes checked out tomorrow like you suggested!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
One thing I've found on late model vehicles is that bad grounds will do crazy things to the dash lights, it will be the cause for the no crank. Check the ground.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing I've found on late model vehicles is that bad grounds will do crazy things to the dash lights, it will be the cause for the no crank. Check the ground.
I must agree, grounds can make big differences, my lights used to flicker and I found the frame ground and grinded off the dirt and crap and it fixed a lot of crazy electrical issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts