Ford Automobiles banner

2009+ Electronic Throttle Body Failures

17K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  North Country 
#1 ·
Since the Escape and especially 2009-2010 4cyl or 6cyl Escapes are so prone to this failure of the throttle bodies. I figure I would make a short video detailing the replacement of the throttle body and the few extra steps to take to make it a successful repair. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Yeah, I figured I could fix it but I was in a situation where we only had the one vehicle, and needed it asap, no tools, and found a friend's OBDII scanner doesn't work on the new CAN standard. I will have to sell my old and buy a new one since I'll be keeping this vehicle now since I just splurged for new rubber.

Luckly I was in my old hometown where I purchased from and they squeezed me in for the fix. Also had them do a trans flush/fill since it was time. Didn't want to aggravate the finicky 6 speeder in these things ;)

#7 ·
Welcome to the FFO!
Is the wrench light on?

Action

#8 ·
No. No dash lights are illuminated and it presents no indication of any problems. It stalled on her several times but restarted. Now she's scared to drive it.
I am also entertaining the idea that it may be the EGR valve as she noticed that it runs rough sometimes. I'm also going to check the fuel pump pressure although I doubt that the fuel system is the problem.
I was unaware of the throttle body system problem until I read this forum and now I'm curious to know, because I've also read that this problem can cause dangerous surges.

#9 ·
See if this helps

#10 ·
The electronic throttle (accelerator pedal and throttle body) have been issues in the past. However if they are the "wrench" light will come on. And a code will be generated.

It has been my experience before the engine stalls there is weird sensations of pushing the gas pedal and little to nothing happens with the engine. I would suggest that the lack of a light with no code means that piece of the system is functioning well.

How many miles?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Action

#12 ·
Hi there, sorry for the delay...work went crazy.
It has 242,000 km on it and I can't find any record of the fuel filter or pump being changed.
I watched all the videos and they don't seem to be the problem.
My Autel Autolink shows all readings to be within limits, including trims.
Now I am starting to suspect that it may be the fuel pump/ fuel filter assembly, as everything else checks out OK. The only other thing I could think of is an intermittent malfunction in the ECM or an electronic module, but the fuel supply would seem more consistent with the problem.
I have her taking it to Ford today to be diagnosed and repaired, as I work out of town and had to go.
I'll post updates.
Thanks again for the help ! 😊

#13 ·
I think the chances of the ECM being bad are about the same as me winning the lotto.

With that number of KMs there is some maintenance that needs to be done
Fuel filter replacement
Oxygen sensor replacement.

Neither of the above will show up on an electronic scanner if they are marginal.
If the O2 sensor fails it will trip a light
If the fuel filter plugs up there isn't enough fuel to operate the engine
If they are working marginally, the vehicle will run OK most of the time. Under load the engine can experience issues.

Action

#15 ·
I'm expecting to replace the fuel pump/fuel filter at any rate. Chances are that it's the factory original.
Yikes!!!

I would replace every 60,000 KMs

Action

#16 ·
OK, that's good to know....that makes it very likely to be the problem then. I was unable to replicate the failure, it runs great without any sign of trouble.
She had driven on the highway all day and then it started stalling on her at stoplights and she had to turn it off to be able to restart it.

#17 ·
OK, I didn't get a chance to try the test that Dominick 1 suggested because I had to go to work right away.
They tested the fuel pump pressure and it was 58, spec is 55 so it was performing well.
Everything else checks out OK.
They suspect the evap purge valve is sticking although they are unable to replicate the problem.
So I told them to go ahead and replace it. Parts and labour plus diagnosis and fuel pump test with taxes is around $450 CAD.
Thanks for all the help, you guys !
I really appreciate it !
I'll post back here if any further issues or information. 😊👌

#19 ·
I'm out of town working so I had to send her to Ford.
If I was able to be still in town, I would have got it at Napa and done it myself. At least, for the money, I can be assured everything is good and I don't have to worry about her breaking down in the middle of nowhere.
For me, it's worth the piece of mind, if I'm not able to do it myself.

#22 ·
I would still do the maintenance.
It isn't exactly critical. But it is needed.
Both the filter and O2 sensor

Action

#23 ·
The filter can't be changed without replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, it seems it must have been changed before she owned the car. I can do it if the need arises, but so far it's performing above spec. The O2 sensors I can do myself too. I wanted to run it through the Ford techs to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but they couldn't find the malfunction either. They're speculating based on experience that it may be the purge valve intermittently sticking, and from the video Dominick 1 posted, it seems very plausible.
If I had time to watch the video before I left home, I could have done the repair for about $60 whereas Ford charges $190 for the OEM. That's the price of peace of mind, but I also haul cars for Ford so reciprocity of patronage bodes well for business at any rate. I'm going to recheck everything after the repair is done, since I'm aware of the previous results, to see if anything has changed.

#25 ·
There is a filter in the tank. That is more of a permanent one. To be replaced when the pump is replaced.

There is one outside the tank that should be replaced every 3 years or 60,000 KM. It is a do it yourself thing as well.
Ford Escape fuel filter - YouTube
After changing this, dump the old fuel from the inlet side into a rag. If it has been on for as long as you say, a lot of junk will come out into the rag

Action

#26 ·
Both can be done when your daughter brings the car back to you.
Save a few bucks that way

Action

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.