Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a used 2009 Ford Fusion. Today while drving in the rain it made a very loud noise (loud enough to hear over the radio and scare me) Then the car hesitated, the dealer said it is the traction control. Anyone else have this loud noise when the traction control goes on. I did not notice a light go on. Can it be deactivted?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not sure by what is loud but mine definitely makes nose when it comes on.
A light should illuminate in the dash when it's active.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise was really loud and the car slowed down. I though I was going to stall on the highway. Can it be turned off. I did not notice a light on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is there a "TC" button in the dash? If there is it is the switch for the traction control. Look at the owners manual and the traction conmtrol should be explained in there. My wife has a 2008 Fusion, but I have never driven it and know nothing about them. I do not get to work on cars that are under warranty. I know my daughters Mustang GT has a TC button and it could be used to turn on, or off, the traction control. It works great when you want to round out the tires!!! What she needed more than that was a governer!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
did it start jerking a lot when it made the noise? was it like a grinding noise?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If so, then, yes that would be the TCS. it uses the brakes to keep you from burning up the tires, some cars it even uses ,almost like a 'transmission brake' like in drag cars...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happened so fast and scared me. The noise was loud enough to hear over the radio and the car felt like it was lossing power. I pulled over right away and then the car was fine. I have only had the car for a few days and this was the first time drving in the rain. I had just left the dealer for another problem when this happened. I took it right back and they could not find anything wrong.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
has it happened again? were you hammering the accelerator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has not happened again. I checked my owners manaual to see where the button was to turn off the traction control and I have no button. My model did not come with traction control only the V8 does. I have a spot next to the hazard button but nothing is there.

The dealer told me yesturday that is was the traction control taking over in the rain and when I dook it back a few min. later they said they checked everything and nothing was wrong. I called this morning and took the car back and now they are checking the car again!

I just hope that it does not happen again when it rains.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
it should have tc. i think the button was V8, wait, the fusion doesn't have a V8...:shocked:

unless you have a stock car

·
Registered
96 Posts
It happened so fast and scared me. The noise was loud enough to hear over the radio ...
You had better get used to it. Anti-lock Brakes, Traction Control and the Electronic Stability Control are integrated into one computer system. The noise you heard was the computer applying the brake to one (or more) of the wheel to prevent potential loss of control (skid).

... the car felt like it was lossing power.
This is possible. The system, in addition to applying the brake to a spinning drive wheel, will partially close the throttle if both drive wheel lose traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts