2010 Escape XLT - water in the right rear door | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2010 Escape XLT - water in the right rear door

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by ddunk1946, May 31, 2020.

1. ddunk1946

ddunk1946 New Member

Something new with the Mrs's vehicle. I was surprised when the glass hatch in the tailgate wouldn't close this weekend, but that turned out to be that the mechanism was loose and out of alignment. Simple enough to reposition and tighten. It was at that point that she said, 'Oh, I think there's water in that door.' (!) So, when did this start? A few days ago.
    I know she had an issue last year with the sun roof drains being clogged during a particularly heavy rain in Houston. Fortunately, when you carry a large English Lab around, you always have a towel or two handy. We have had some serious rain in the last week or so, but I'm not sure how water from sun roof drains would find its way to that door. Just that one. I don't see any body plugs on the bottom of the door, so I thought I'd pull the door panel to see what's going on.
    The only sun roof drains are the two in the front corners, yes? Or are there more?
    Thanks for your interest and comments.
    DD
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Some vehicles (and I think Escape is one of them) have drains in the rear. The rear drains do not go to the liftgate or glass of the vehicle.

>>>>>Action
    ddunk1946 likes this.
  3. Action

ddunk1946 likes this.
  4. ddunk1946

ddunk1946 New Member

I have since acquired diagrams and details on the drain system (Google is your friend! :) ) and it does appear to have drains in the B pillar, too. Not sure how to access them but I did, with the help of heavy trimmer string and my compressor set to 30psi, manage to clear the front drains. I lifted the A pillar trim to see the upper drain and hoses but marked that activity 'Plan B'.
    Pulled the door card on the RR door card and speaker to find about 2 quarts of clean water (she got caught in a very heavy downpour in Dallas last week although we've been in a couple of those in Houston and water did not fill the door) . Doesn't look like it had time to rust, etc., but I'm letting it dry after drilling 2 holes in the bottom of the door to drain. We'll see what we need to do to it before buttoning it up.
    Many thanks for the assist!
    DD
  5. Action

Wow!!!

Because of this thread I have waxed the roof and inside areas of my sunroof opening. Then I used a rubber/vinyl conditioner on the sealing parts that are rubber. I have yet to check the drains. Not much rain in Phoenix. When it does rain usually it pours for a short time and then it is over. And those events are usually bunched up in late July to August and then again in January February. With nearly no rain in between. I remember one year we did not have rain for over 150 days

If the water does not get past the seal it does not have to travel to the drain.

Action
    ddunk1946 likes this.
  6. ddunk1946

ddunk1946 New Member

Good plan! The irony of it is, she's not a fan of sunroofs. This is the first vehicle she'd had with one. Never opens it, never pulls the sun screen back. If we go somewhere in my 300c, she'll always close the sun screen. The one time she did open it was on a nice day just after she'd bought it. She'd picked up some balloons for a birthday party or something and, while sitting at a light, she noticed balloons drifting up above here. Yikes, those are mine! :) We still laugh about it, but I digress. Thanks for the input.
    DD
    Air Aitch and Action like this.