Ford Automobiles banner

Is this a common failure part

• Yes

• No

• Not Sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the above described vehicle. Swapped engine out & when unplugging transmission noticed the plug where the wire harness plugs into transmission had oil residue in it.

I know the transmission oil pan use ultra black RTV but I need to know before I removed if there's a clip, o-ring, rubber seal, gasket that seals the pan.

I've even looked under service information to no avail on shopkey pro and had no luck either. Did a search on Google and wound up at this page for the top search result.

Any & all help getting this figured out is appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wanted to ask on the Power Transfer Unit how long do I need to wait after sealing the case before putting oil in it? I had to pull it apart to replace the left side seal on the PTU as it was leaking oil.

I'm also replacing the other 4 seals as well. Alot of seals for a small thing

Administrator
Welcome to the FFO!

I have not serviced a 6F35 on an AWD. I have for two wheel drive. And the car I have is over due for a service.
For the pan it is just bolts that hold the pan to the case. Nothing else.
Between the pan and case is a gasket. I do 3 cars at the same time and that gasket may be reusable. I just forget.

Action

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Got the part about the transmission pan figured out. Ultra grey RTV sealant for the transmission oil pan according to mfr service information.

Still look for the information on the wire harness plug as there has to be a gasket, RTV or something there to seal the wire harness plug to the pan assembly.

I passed on it for the time being.

I'll finger tighten the PTU bolts with the RTV in place then after a hour I'll snug them down with a ratchet in a cross pattern going around as couldn't find anything in the OEM service information in the Mitchel / Shopkey Pro database.

Administrator
I have never found aftermarket shop manuals (Mitchell) to be of much use

Action

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mitchell aka Shopkey actually has some of the best aftermarket wiring diagrams.

After more digging I did find a little more service info but only what applied to the PTU sealing.

Didn't find any information applying to the seal, gasket or whatever they use between the plug and metal housing that holds it.

I'm sure if I went to the Ford dealer or had a fax I could get their parts dept to fax me a illustration depicting everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts