Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here - hoping for some feedback.
2010 ford escape AWD hybrid.

Have dash command but came up with code needing 120 dollar ford add on - so went to O’Reillys and as long as I used the scanner correctly this is what I’m getting….

Check engine light not on - car drives fine but sometimes delayed power when hitting the gas - plan to clean out/replace throttle body for that.

Gas mpg is around 27 average.

Have a bunch of codes - oh - spark plugs were replaced around 120k by previous owner (dealer did this - have the full service record)

From all these photos attached it looks like I need to replace spark plugs and o2 sensors at least to begin to get into this?

Thanks in advance
White Light Blue Gadget Communication Device

White Light Blue Communication Device Gadget

Light Blue Gadget Communication Device Font

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

With over 100,000 miles on original O2 sensors, they are likely very slow in signaling the PCM. Replacement is the only fix for that.
How many miles on the vehicle now?

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
175k on the clock now

planning to replace 02 sensors tomorrow - any reason to go oem for those?

have attached what my dash command app saw which prompted me to go to o’reillys

thanks! Appreciated

Rectangle Font Number Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

Welcome to the FFO!

With over 100,000 miles on original O2 sensors, they are likely very slow in signaling the PCM. Replacement is the only fix for that.
How many miles on the vehicle now?

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would I presume replacing the 02 sensors would the first thing to tackle here - may be root cause of some of the other issues?

175k on the clock now

have attached what my dash command app saw which prompted me to go to o’reillys

thanks! Appreciated

View attachment 51982
View attachment 51981

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
175k on the clock now

In my opinion, no.
I am a diehard Ford guy. In my opinion it is the same as buying Ford steel or some other raw material by Ford.
There are no moving parts. It is metal and ceramic do a job of sensing how much oxygen in the exhaust flow.
The key is speed. These sensors should be reporting in real time. As they age they take longer to report changes in the exhaust. This causes problems for the PCM as the PCM is adjusting injector squirt times on a per cylinder basis.

At 175,000 they are shot. I would recommend replacing every 100,000 miles

Start there with replacing all 4 and see what happens. These can be found for under $25 each

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion, no.
I am a diehard Ford guy. In my opinion it is the same as buying Ford steel or some other raw material by Ford.
There are no moving parts. It is metal and ceramic do a job of sensing how much oxygen in the exhaust flow.
The key is speed. These sensors should be reporting in real time. As they age they take longer to report changes in the exhaust. This causes problems for the PCM as the PCM is adjusting injector squirt times on a per cylinder basis.

At 175,000 they are shot. I would recommend replacing every 100,000 miles

Start there with replacing all 4 and see what happens. These can be found for under $25 each

Action
Thanks greatly - looks like the escape hybrid 2-5L 4 cylinder engine has only 2 sensors - 1 upstream and 1 downstream - o Reillys wanted $300 for them both!

found Alternatives for 60 delivered with thee socket tool - let’s see if that works!!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Thought it was a V bock engine.

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like Mororcraft only upper O2 sensors. Then Bosch, Delphi, etc aftermarket lower O2 sensors myself.
Thanks - ordered 2 from Amazon and their fit guide failed - went to autozone and got the proper ones….
Upstream installed - downstream seized on - in SoCal - no rust - just won’t budge - have a small ramp so not too much work to get leverage on it unfortunately…..just found a 22mm wrench so trying the socket end before I give up and pay my garage to install - been spraying with anti sieze last 24 hours….. seems like a right of passage I should go through to do this….. (but went through working on my fzj80)…..

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Spraying with a penetrant oil may yield better results.

Using a very high temp* anti-sieze during installation will make the future removal easier.
However use only on threads. Slopping antiseize on the sensor part would not be a good thing.

I have two bottles of antiseize. High and low temp. I use high temp on spark plugs for the modular engine (5.4l 3v) in my Navigator and any O2 sensors for all vehicles. Low temp for any other applications.

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled the sensor - eased it back and forth - in between me trying to get it off and the oil change place trying when I gota change a few days ago it looks like the I may have messed the thread up - can’t get the sensor to bite into the thread…. Worth even trying to do this myself or just take to my local garage - part of the problem is lying on my back - tough work space….

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Use high temp anti seize on the threads of the new sensor.
Just a very little bit will do the trick

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my forscan OBD2 reader arrived and looks like I've cleared the codes - I have a strong suspicion i may not have been using the code reader correctly at O'reillys.....hey ho. New o2 sensors installed regardless!

forscan reports no faults in the engine/sensors etc.....

it does report b1030 and b1032 (in HVAc module?) which saying there is a ground issue with front left and right seat heaters...... ??

I finally figured out how to disable the TPMS sensor fault warning light using forscan - nice!

question remains......
main reason for plugging in a reader in the first place was a slight hesitation once in a while when accelerating and a slight decrease in what i might expect for MPG. Have cleaned the MAF sensor now along withe new filter so see what that does for mpg- I was going to replace the throttle body and spark plugs but records indicate they were both replaced 50K miles ago when a vacuum leak was deetcted by the PO (friend of mine)- along with installing new spark plugs.....

Other than that slight hesitation once every now and again - Car runs great - no check engine is on (the light works)...... I''d like to keep it for another few years (5 tops) until I buy a pure EV (this is the AWD 2.5L escape 2010 hybrid here) - so would be interested in any preventative maintenance suggestions..??

thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
55,000 miles on the spark plugs, I would be replacing those.
You stated you replaced a filter, just not sure which one. If the fuel filter is replaceable I would replace it.
And look for any small vacuum leaks

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sparks done now - I replaced the intake filter on the engine - cleaned the MAF sensor and will clean the throttle body when the gasket arrives. Other than that - I think that’s it for a tune up….

I looked a while back for a fuel filter (which I’ve changed on my fzj80 - royal pain that one) and looks like it’s not serviceable….within the fuel tank I think…

while under there - noticed an oil type liquid on the exterior of the plastic skid plate over the fuel tank- dragged my finger across it - doesn’t smell of fuel - not leaking anything on garage floor….?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Fender Vehicle

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Look forward of the vehicle. Somethings leaking
Action

Reactions: Smiffy1892
1 - 19 of 19 Posts