Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am buying a 1 owner escape hybrid from the woman who drove it off the lot new.
120k miles, all services done at deal. in very good shape; EXCEPT there is a brake issue she told me about that just started last nite.
she said the ABS warning light came on as well as the check brake system light.
when she tried to stop she had no power assist [imo from her description of having to really step hard on brake pedal to stop car] i am 'guessing' it is a problem with the brake system vacuum pump.
any thoughts?
estimate for repair if it is vacuum pump?
she wants $4000 for car which was a great deal until this issue.
any input appreciated.
thank you. bob

·
Registered
7,818 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Since you are guess the issue is a vacuum pump and the seller does not know, it might be fair to have a professional diagnosis. Especially if both of you are not physically doing the repairs.

Your unofficial diagnosis sound reasonable except the ABS system is part of the vehicle braking and the vacuum booster is part of the vehicle braking too. But the booster is not part of the ABS system. So there may be more than one issue. Knowing is always better than not knowing.

Unless the asking price is so low it does not matter the cost to repair.

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Since you are guess the issue is a vacuum pump and the seller does not know, it might be fair to have a professional diagnosis. Especially if both of you are not physically doing the repairs.

Your unofficial diagnosis sound reasonable except the ABS system is part of the vehicle braking and the vacuum booster is part of the vehicle braking too. But the booster is not part of the ABS system. So there may be more than one issue. Knowing is always better than not knowing.

Unless the asking price is so low it does not matter the cost to repair.

Action
thank you. the owner has taken it to her menhanic for diagnoses, but she said on the way to the shop the brakes were just fine! but i know the computer will have an error code stored. i am waoiting to hear whaat the mechanic thinks. hybrids are fairly sophisticated, so i am unsure of the independent mechanics ability to thoroughly troubleshoot the issue. time will tell.....

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
.... hybrids are fairly sophisticated, so i am unsure of the independent mechanics ability to thoroughly troubleshoot the issue. time will tell.....
And expensive to repair! At least to my understanding. I have never worked on one.

However the brakes and ABS operation are the same for Hybrid or not Hybrid, with the exception that during braking there may be some recharging functions happening that create greater drag in stopping the vehicle. I would expect a brake repair to be no different for Hybrid or non-Hybrid.

If there is an electronic ABS issue there will be a code in the BCE part of the "computer".
If there is a braking issue, no code will be generated.

Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts