Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I purchased part BT4Z19980W which is the dash control unit. It controls the HVAC, Temp reading on the radio, ambient lights and possibly more. I know thats the part I need because Ford told me so. My question is.. where is it in my vehicle. There was no diagram provided and the only one that exists on the internet shows the instrument cluster in parts. This part is #20 on the diagram. This is not telling me where it is. Is it behind the radio? I don't understand what im looking at here. I'd like to have a general idea of where i'm going before just taking my car apart.

If anyone could help me understand where this part is that would be OUTSTANDING.

(note, this image is from a ford edge but not the limited version. This is the only diagram im finding online)

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
You are looking at and have posted a Ford parts illustration. Something that a parts counter guy uses to identify parts. And then gets the part number to place an order.

The service technician uses a shop manual. Comes in a 2 volume set. Volume 1 of 2 is pictured and was taken from an Ebay listing. About $40 each or $80 for a hard copy set. There are some CD sets that cover multiple years. Those are not Ford because the Ford makes a new manual set for each year. If you are going to do your own repairs, get the set. You will need it in the future.

Using a parts illustration to make a service repair is like playing darts with one eye closed. Could work. But not the best situation.

I have never owned. worked on a Ford Edge. Best I could tell you is it is under or behind the instrument panel. In a Fusion it is behind #21.

Good luck
Action

Sleeve Publication Book Font Rectangle

Reactions: djtiger76

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,
I purchased part BT4Z19980W which is the dash control unit. It controls the HVAC, Temp reading on the radio, ambient lights and possibly more. I know thats the part I need because Ford told me so. My question is.. where is it in my vehicle. There was no diagram provided and the only one that exists on the internet shows the instrument cluster in parts. This part is #20 on the diagram. This is not telling me where it is. Is it behind the radio? I don't understand what im looking at here. I'd like to have a general idea of where i'm going before just taking my car apart.

If anyone could help me understand where this part is that would be OUTSTANDING.

(note, this image is from a ford edge but not the limited version. This is the only diagram im finding online)

View attachment 49467
Hello,
Did you ever figure out where it is located? If so would you please share the info? We have the part but can’t figure out where it’s located. Thank you!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Welcome to the FFO.

I replaced that on a Fusion. It was behind the radio head panel. Off to one side if memory serves me.

Found this on the net -
Where is THE Ac/Heater control module on a 2011 Ford Edge located
Dual climate control will suddenly increase on it's own. The Ford dealer said it was the ac/ heater control module . Do you know the location on the vehicle?
I bought a new module. Finally found it's location.
The module is buried in the driver's side dash in between the hood release and the light switch. I had to take half the dash apart and pull apart the round heating ducts . Just to get at the 2 electrical plugs. I took the vehicle for a short test drive and so far no problem.

Action

Reactions: Cyndi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
Did you ever figure out where it is located? If so would you please share the info? We have the part but can’t figure out where it’s located. Thank you!
Yeah, and pardon my non mechanical descriptions, directions and dirty car in advance... I've attached some, maybe not so useful, photos to help with my description of where it is. The first picture is of the drivers side dash?! The module is behind those panels. If you can get down on the floor and look under these panels, you'll see something similar to the second photo. In the second photo and in your vehicle you should see a plastic tube (the one with, what appears to be tape, in my photo). The module is above that tube (not pictured). Its very hard to get to and get a photo of while contorting myself on the floor. The suggestion, i believe i saw from the ford mechanic manual is to remove the panels (in the first photo) to access the module. Fairly simple I suppose as long as you don't break anything (tabs) or lose the screws. I did not attempt this replacement because the manual also says, when new module is installed, it has to be programmed and as far as I know, only Ford can do that. BTW, the last quote I received from Ford was $1100 to replace this $200 module :oops:

If you can figure out how to program it... or, replace it and determine it works without being programmed, please reply and let me know. Winter is fast approaching and i'm going to need consistent heating.

Hope this helps!
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the FFO.

I replaced that on a Fusion. It was behind the radio head panel. Off to one side if memory serves me.

Found this on the net -
Where is THE Ac/Heater control module on a 2011 Ford Edge located
Dual climate control will suddenly increase on it's own. The Ford dealer said it was the ac/ heater control module . Do you know the location on the vehicle?
I bought a new module. Finally found it's location.
The module is buried in the driver's side dash in between the hood release and the light switch. I had to take half the dash apart and pull apart the round heating ducts . Just to get at the 2 electrical plugs. I took the vehicle for a short test drive and so far no problem.

Action
Thats approximately where it is in the Edge as well. It didnt need to be programmed?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
That was done with FORscan.

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, and pardon my non mechanical descriptions, directions and dirty car in advance... I've attached some, maybe not so useful, photos to help with my description of where it is. The first picture is of the drivers side dash?! The module is behind those panels. If you can get down on the floor and look under these panels, you'll see something similar to the second photo. In the second photo and in your vehicle you should see a plastic tube (the one with, what appears to be tape, in my photo). The module is above that tube (not pictured). Its very hard to get to and get a photo of while contorting myself on the floor. The suggestion, i believe i saw from the ford mechanic manual is to remove the panels (in the first photo) to access the module. Fairly simple I suppose as long as you don't break anything (tabs) or lose the screws. I did not attempt this replacement because the manual also says, when new module is installed, it has to be programmed and as far as I know, only Ford can do that. BTW, the last quote I received from Ford was $1100 to replace this $200 module :oops:

If you can figure out how to program it... or, replace it and determine it works without being programmed, please reply and let me know. Winter is fast approaching and i'm going to need consistent heating.

Hope this helps!
View attachment 51938

View attachment 51937

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Morning,
Thank you for your quick reply. We are going to attempt to replace the module and we will let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for the pictures and description of where it is located. Hopefully 🤞 the replacement works without us programming. We shall see. Thanks again.
Cyndi

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hope this helps!
View attachment 51938

View attachment 51937

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had this module for the longest time sitting in the box. I didnt want to install it cause I thought it needed to be programmed. Looks like I have a Saturday project now. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
DJTiger,
Here’s more info on installation.
Remove trim piece under steering wheel, door threshold, pull front bottom door gasket up. There is one screw on the left bottom side of dash. Pop the side piece on the dash. You can see the corner of the module, remove the connectors, there is one screw holding the module. Make sure you remove the connectors first though and then the screw. (Trust me on that one) Take the screw out and the module will fall down. Had to pull the bottom corner of the dash to make more room to get the module out.
Hope this helps.
Cyndi

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJTiger,
Here’s more info on installation.
Remove trim piece under steering wheel, door threshold, pull front bottom door gasket up. There is one screw on the left bottom side of dash. Pop the side piece on the dash. You can see the corner of the module, remove the connectors, there is one screw holding the module. Make sure you remove the connectors first though and then the screw. (Trust me on that one) Take the screw out and the module will fall down. Had to pull the bottom corner of the dash to make more room to get the module out.
Hope this helps.
Cyndi

View attachment 51950
Got it done. Didn't need programming. It was a bit difficult to get to and in my frustration of not having enough room to get to it, I broke something (plastic) but it doesn't affect the operation of the vehicle and you wouldn't even notice I broke something. I have screws left over, meaning I didn't fasten something back.... But IT WORKS!

Thanks everyone for participating in this post. Saved over over $800 with just over an hour of DIY work.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Got it done.

I broke something. I have screws left over, meaning I didn't fasten something back.... But IT WORKS!

Thanks everyone for participating in this post. Saved over over $800 with just over an hour of DIY work.
Thanks for posting back. Many do not.
And the first statement says it all.

Action

Reactions: Cyndi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts