Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle starts perfect in the morning, but when i leave it sitting in the afternoon for a few hours when it is hot outside, when I try to start it, I will release the key and it will continue turning over for about 4 seconds or more until it starts.
It does this every day, and only after it has been sitting several hours later in the afternoon when it is hot outside, never in the morning when i first start it.

I thought the start was messed up so i replaced it, and it is still doing it.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Just a guess, the ignition switch may still be send current to the starter relay. This may be due to a sticking switch or sticking key lock or binding linkage. I would have looked at the starter first as you did. Just a guess on the switch, lock or linkage between those. (Unless the start system is push button)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you try to crank it, it will not start right away, and when you let off the key it continues to try to start for about 5-6 seconds then it starts and runs fine.
there are no check engine lights
it starts perfect first thing in the morning, will start up perfect after driving it an hour, or letting it sit an hour.
the problem is only when it sits several hours in the heat part of the day

at first i thought starter issue, replaced the starter, then i was thinking fuel pump, but it starts fine in the morning after sitting 12 plus hours, it is just that one time in the hot afternoon, and it happens every day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To me, that sounds like you have a Throttle Body that is dirty, sticking, or not positioning itself correctly for a hot start. I have seen folks that have cleaned their throttle plates to try to remedy start issues. I also know that the 2011 Edge's had a service bulletin directing dealers to replace the ETBs.

Have you owned the car since new? If not you might not have received the letter.

Here is some more info.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2670/16b23-electronic-throttle-body-replacement-2011-2012-ford-lincoln/4

@Motorcycletunes

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
PLease confirm - To recap the issues, when the vehicle has been sitting for several hours and upon restart the starter stays engaged to the engine and running for a few seconds after you let the key move to the on position from the start position. Correct???

If correct -
Have you watched the key move immediately from the start position to the run position after you let go of the key?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Just a guess, the ignition switch may still be send current to the starter relay. This may be due to a sticking switch or sticking key lock or binding linkage. I would have looked at the starter first as you did. Just a guess on the switch, lock or linkage between those. (Unless the start system is push button)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Actually, this car has something called One Touch Start.

Once the key is turned to the crank position the computer takes over and it will crank until started. If you are not familiar with it, you might think the starter is staying engaged, or that the ignition switch is stuck in the crank position.

This is from the Owners Manual:

Starting the engine Note:

2. Turn the key to 4 (start), then release the key as soon as the engine begins cranking. Your vehicle has a computer assisted cranking system that assists in starting the engine. After releasing the key from the 4 (start) position, the engine may continue cranking for up to 10 seconds or until the vehicle starts.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
They never came back and let us know
Have you contacted your dealer?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Fuel pump or regulator, if you turn the key to run but not crank it will activate the fuel pump then turn to off then turn to crank and it should start. It is possible that you will need to go from off to run and back to off a couple of times to get it running but it sould start. Every time I've run into this it has been the fuel pump not building enough pressure needing replacement. If it isnt replaced it gets worse until it doesn't run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts