Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 ford escape has sat for 2 years. Everything worked fine when parked. The ac compressor will noy engage now

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Likely the AC system is low on refrigerant charge or has no charge. Have you checked the system pressures?

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have the DIY hose but the low side reads 0 and will not take any refrigerant without compressor engaged

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
To get refrigerant into the system the low pressure switch has to be jumped to get the compressor clutch to come on. That switch is there to protect the compressor from damage when the system is empty. I could not find a pic on the net for a 2011 Escape. This is a 2001 Escape V6.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
2012-05-08_154837_a1.jpg

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
connecting the refrigerant can to the system should provide sufficient pressure to engage the clutch. maybe you don't have the connection right

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
There should only be two. If you have a connector with more than two connectors it is the wrong switch.

Remove the connector and connect the two in the connector. Usually a paper clip does the job. Just keep the wire or paper clip away from a ground source because that will ground out the circuit.

Some times adding refrigerant on a static system does not put enough pressure into the system to trip the switch. I have worked on vehicles that needed the electrical jump and others that do not.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you get the refrigerant warmed up to ~70'sF, it should develop enough pressure to enable the LPCO, thus passing power to the clutch winding.
You might want to take a look at he backside of the clutch where the brush makes contact. If that gets corroded or covered with 'stuff', it may not pass power to enable the clutch to pull in. Generally, running the engine for a while will clean it up, but the brushes could get stuck.
Thinking a bit more, setting the refrigerant atop the engine or in the path of the radiator fan flow should warm it enough to produce the needed pressure. My take is if the LPCO needs jumping, there may be something else going on.
tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
There should only be two. If you have a connector with more than two connectors it is the wrong switch.

Remove the connector and connect the two in the connector. Usually a paper clip does the job. Just keep the wire or paper clip away from a ground source because that will ground out the circuit.

Some times adding refrigerant on a static system does not put enough pressure into the system to trip the switch. I have worked on vehicles that needed the electrical jump and others that do not.

>>>>>>>>>Action
The 2008 thru 2012 models of the Escape have a 3 wire pressure sensor...you cannot merely jump it. One lead is 12v, one is ground, the other varies in voltages according to pressure that reads back to the ECM. Changing the sensor out with a known good one is the best way to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts