Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Escape has just recently developed an annoying whining noise in the steering, noticeable while parallel parking or doing a 3 point turn.
It seems to be progressively getting worse, and more annoying, mainly because I’m not sure what it is.
As you may know, this vehicle does not have traditional power steering, it has electric power assistance steering, so there is no power steering pump to my understanding, or that I can even find under the hood.
Now, seeing it does have a steering rack from what I can tell, I’m thinking that still needs to be lubricated somehow no?
What am I missing here?
There are no other power steering issues besides the noise, no failures etc.. or steering going out like the ones plaqued with the bad columns.
But for the life of me, I can’t figure out what this whining noise is, but it sounds exactly like the whine you would get from a traditional power steering pump gone dry.
Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

There may be a fault. If so it will generate a code.
You may have an electric motor going out.

But first check tire pressures. Low tires all the way around create greater effort for the system.
The other issue is binding steering suspension parts. The vehicle will have to be raised off of the ground to check that.

There is no lubrication.

Action

Reactions: wayneinwinterpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably should have mentioned it’s got the 3.0 V6 engine, but I imagine the steering components are the same no matter the engine in this vehicle.
Either way, it doesn’t have either of these engines
Welcome to the FFO!

There may be a fault. If so it will generate a code.
We’re likely talking real code reader will be needed, not an el cheapo OBD reader correct?
Will anything come up on the instrument panel at all?
There’s nothing there now except for the notorious TPMS sensor fault (they are not present on the vehicle presently).
All tires are fine, and actually they’re all brand new a couple months ago.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Not sure about dash warning light.
But you are correct an El C reader does not get it.

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure about dash warning light.
But you are correct an El C reader does not get it.

Action

___

Hello,

None of these repsonses answer the initial question --- so let me repeat the question that the initial poster asked, since I have the exact same question:

"So my Escape has just recently developed an annoying whining noise in the steering, noticeable while parallel parking or doing a 3 point turn.
It seems to be progressively getting worse, and more annoying, mainly because I’m not sure what it is.
As you may know, this vehicle does not have traditional power steering, it has electric power assistance steering, so there is no power steering pump to my understanding, or that I can even find under the hood."

**** I have a 2011 Ford Escape XLT, with the 3.0L V6 engine, FWD (Not AWD) and @ 150,000 miles. In any other car this noise means the power steering fluid is low and needs to be filled or topped off, possibly due to a power steering line or pressure line leak.

There are no codes that are causing lights showing on the dashboard

So the specific questions are:
1.) Has any one encountered this problem before on a 2008-2012 Ford Escape with electric power assistance steering system?
2.) There is no power steering reservoir under the hood to check or inspect, but is there another location to check this and add fluid?
3.) Other than asking my mechanic to check all the lines, is there any other way to diagnose the root defect causing the noise?

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable answers.
J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

None of these repsonses answer the initial question --- so let me repeat the question that the initial poster asked, since I have the exact same question:

"So my Escape has just recently developed an annoying whining noise in the steering, noticeable while parallel parking or doing a 3 point turn.
As you may know, this vehicle does not have traditional power steering, it has electric power assistance steering, so there is no power steering pump to my understanding, or that I can even find under the hood."

**** I have a 2011 Ford Escape XLT, with the 3.0L V6 engine, FWD (Not AWD) and @ 150,000 miles. In any other car this noise means the power steering fluid is low and needs to be filled or topped off, possibly due to a power steering line or pressure line leak.

There are no codes that are causing lights showing on the dashboard

1.) Has any one encountered this problem before on a 2008-2012 Ford Escape with electric power assistance steering system?
2.) There is no power steering reservoir under the hood to check or inspect, but is there another location to check this and add fluid?
3.) Other than asking my mechanic to check all the lines, is there any other way to diagnose the root defect causing the noise?

J

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts

J
1) I have never owned an Escape
2) There is no fluid with EPAS. Electric Power Assisted Steering. )All 2011 Escapes will have this system
3) There are no fluid lines.

There is a rather lengthy diagnostic routine in the shop manual.
The other diagnostic is to pull codes with the correct DTC reader

Action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts