Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a couple of months ago I realized that every single electrical component of my car was glitching and going on and off when I was in my apartment, with my car keys inside with me. It has been three months now and I have been told my ignition module is broken due to a rainwater leak. Has anyone had this issue before and know where this leak could be coming from? I don’t want to replace the ignition module before the leak is fixed, but everyone seems to be struggling to find it. It leaks out under my fuse box on the drivers side, and it only messes with the ignition module when it is raining. I have blown out my sunroof drains and have put sealant on the windshield to no avail. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

There have been issues on some Ford vehicles of water dripping onto a powertrain control module (PCM) Especially engine compartment mounted PCMs. However I do not think Fusion has had that issue. A rather simple fix in the engine compartment is to make a water shield that surrounds the PCM.

The question I would have is, has the concern been correctly diagnosed?
The 2011 Fusion has the PCM mounted below the battery. And the PCM controls the operation of the ignition system and all of the engine & transaxles controls. You used the words ignition module and there is no such thing. YOu have also written about a water leak inside the vehicle and the PCM is mounted under the hood.
In addition the PCM does not control every single electrical component so I am a little confused.

Looking for clarity

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the FFO!

There have been issues on some Ford vehicles of water dripping onto a powertrain control module (PCM) Especially engine compartment mounted PCMs. However I do not think Fusion has had that issue. A rather simple fix in the engine compartment is to make a water shield that surrounds the PCM.

The question I would have is, has the concern been correctly diagnosed?
The 2011 Fusion has the PCM mounted below the battery. And the PCM controls the operation of the ignition system and all of the engine & transaxles controls. You used the words ignition module and there is no such thing. YOu have also written about a water leak inside the vehicle and the PCM is mounted under the hood.
In addition the PCM does not control every single electrical component so I am a little confused.

Looking for clarity

Action
So I took my car to the Ford dealership and they told me that the ignition module is what is causing the electrical system to act up. It only has issues when it rains, which is where I made the connection of rain leaking in there. The ignition module is the part that Ford told me I needed and the part they ordered for me three months ago that I haven’t gotten yet. The leak drips from the inside of the car, I believe the fuse box, onto the little foot rest pad on the left of the drivers side. When the electrical system, possibly due to the PCM as you said acts up, the radio turns on, the dome lights, tail lights, head lights, windshield wipers if I left them on all turn on. There was one occasion in which my horn went off but that may have been a different issue as it has only occurred once.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Interesting.

The PCM only controls engine or actually power train functions. (Engine/Transmission or transaxle as in the case of your vehicle) And is not connected at all to the exterior lights or other things you listed.
There maybe a body control module that has some impact on non-engine functions.

When I do a search for 2011 Fusion Ignition module references come up with a PCM or also known as ECM or Engine Control Module. There are a lot of modules on a vehicle. The term ignition module is very old and was used in the 1980s up to 1996. And an ignition module never controlled anything other than the engine's ignition.

You are describing things that are not engine or transaxle related. My mother in law has a 2010 Fusion that I can use for reference.

The water leak needs to be repaired even if it does not impact vehicle operation. Water leaking into the vehicle will cause rust and mold. Neither of which are good thing. Sometimes that is difficult. A garden hose and tape are good tools to find a difficult to find water leak. Unless water entry only happens when the vehicle is moving.

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting.

The PCM only controls engine or actually power train functions. (Engine/Transmission or transaxle as in the case of your vehicle) And is not connected at all to the exterior lights or other things you listed.
There maybe a body control module that has some impact on non-engine functions.

When I do a search for 2011 Fusion Ignition module references come up with a PCM or also known as ECM or Engine Control Module. There are a lot of modules on a vehicle. The term ignition module is very old and was used in the 1980s up to 1996. And an ignition module never controlled anything other than the engine's ignition.

You are describing things that are not engine or transaxle related. My mother in law has a 2010 Fusion that I can use for reference.

The water leak needs to be repaired even if it does not impact vehicle operation. Water leaking into the vehicle will cause rust and mold. Neither of which are good thing. Sometimes that is difficult. A garden hose and tape are good tools to find a difficult to find water leak. Unless water entry only happens when the vehicle is moving.

Action
thank you, like i said i’m just going based off of what i was told at the dealership. the way they explained it to me is the rainwater makes my car think that my keys are in the ignition, so while the ignition module may not be a real thing, it’s something pertaining to the fact that my car is acting as if keys were in the ignition.

yeah, i’ve been taking my car to several different places but it’s a slow leak which makes it all the harder to find it.

i appreciate your reaching out to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
I have looked at that area (Left front under the instrument panel) and didn't really see much. However did not have a lot of time. This evening it was too dark.

Do you have the part number of was is on order?

Action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts