Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My first post here; seems like a great community of Ford owners. :)

So, here's what I'm up against: the entertainment system (including CD player, radio, aux inputs, and phone/Bluetooth/SYNC) in my 2012 Ford Escape XLT have stopped working. If I press any of the buttons related to any of these features, nothing happens.

It started last week: I was driving home from work, listening to the radio, and heard a gentle 'thud' sound; it almost sounded like the radio host had bumped his mic accidentally. Everything suddenly went silent, and on the upper display, all it shows me is the direction of travel and the exterior temperature, with the words "FORD ESCAPE PREMIUM SOUND" on the screen in between.

Thinking it was maybe a blown fuse (and having read other posts in this forum), I opened up my owner's manual and popped open the passenger floorboard fuse panel, pulling and inspecting every fuse that seemed like it might be related to the center console. Every fuse I pulled looked good, so I moved on to another idea.

Next I disconnected the battery cables and let the car sit for 30-40 minutes, thinking that might help reset an ECM somewhere...but no dice.

I looked online to see if one of the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment could be the culprit, but it didn't seem like there were any fuses related to the radio there (though I could be wrong). I thought maybe the "thud" I heard could also be an amp going bad? Not sure.

So, I'm stumped. I don't want to take it to a dealership or mechanic if it's something I can troubleshoot and fix myself. Anybody got any ideas I can try?

·
Registered
7,546 Posts

So, here's what I'm up against: the entertainment system (including CD player, radio, aux inputs, and phone/Bluetooth/SYNC) in my 2012 Ford Escape XLT have stopped working. If I press any of the buttons related to any of these features, nothing happens.

It started last week: I was driving home from work, listening to the radio, and heard a gentle 'thud' sound; it almost sounded like the radio host had bumped his mic accidentally. Everything suddenly went silent, and on the upper display, all it shows me is the direction of travel and the exterior temperature, with the words "FORD ESCAPE PREMIUM SOUND" on the screen in between.

Thinking it was maybe a blown fuse (and having read other posts in this forum), I opened up my owner's manual and popped open the passenger floorboard fuse panel, pulling and inspecting every fuse that seemed like it might be related to the center console. Every fuse I pulled looked good, so I moved on to another idea.

Next I disconnected the battery cables and let the car sit for 30-40 minutes, thinking that might help reset an ECM somewhere...but no dice.

I looked online to see if one of the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment could be the culprit, but it didn't seem like there were any fuses related to the radio there (though I could be wrong). I thought maybe the "thud" I heard could also be an amp going bad? Not sure.

So, I'm stumped. I don't want to take it to a dealership or mechanic if it's something I can troubleshoot and fix myself. Anybody got any ideas I can try?
Welcome to the Forum
See if this helps
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/my-ford-touch-problems-software-update.11901/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Dominick! However, this is a 2012 Escape, so it doesn't have a touchscreen or MyFordTouch. The center panel looks like this:

aimage.trucktrend.com_f_32008103_re0_ar0_st0_2012_ford_escape_radio.jpg

The lower half of the panel (climate controls) work just fine, but the upper half (radio, menus, aux, CD player, etc.) don't do anything when pressed.

The upper display works, as well, and looks similar to this...

aimages.newcars.com_images_car_pictures_original_2012_Ford_Esc315db1cc3461f7a3e9854a4279b39f1c...jpg

...but instead of showing the radio station and the current time (in addition to direction and temp), it just says "FORD ESCAPE PREMIUM SOUND" right in the middle (like in the attached file).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I had an issue with my 91 T-Bird and I turned up the volume and it spiked and
I had to take it to a radio shop and they found the broken wire in the circuit

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Does the entertainment manual have any input for this issue?

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!
AbigailB

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the response, Dominick! However, this is a 2012 Escape, so it doesn't have a touchscreen or MyFordTouch. The center panel looks like this:

View attachment 21601

The lower half of the panel (climate controls) work just fine, but the upper half (radio, menus, aux, CD player, etc.) don't do anything when pressed.

The upper display works, as well, and looks similar to this...

View attachment 21609

...but instead of showing the radio station and the current time (in addition to direction and temp), it just says "FORD ESCAPE PREMIUM SOUND" right in the middle (like in the attached file).
I just got the same symptoms today, everything was working perfectly and when started up this morning nothing works . I get the same "FORD ESCAPE PREMIUM SOUND" on screen with no clock. none of the buttons work so not able to try a software boot. Hope someone here has a solution. Turning ignition off and opening door used to work but now I cant get anything.

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Unfortunately the guy from last summer never came back to post a solution or what he did to fix.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi it has been going on for quite some time now my wife has a 2012 Ford Escape with the non touch screen. We will be going down the street and out of nowhere the radio changes stations on its own turns the volume all the way up/down and if we shut it off it will turn itself back on again
Hopefully someone can help it drives us nuts thanks

·
Registered
7,546 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Last time I had that happen in my Expedition it was the stinker in the backseat pushing buttons.

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Brandon,

Welcome to the FFO!

You might have benefited from starting a new thread as this one has no conclusion.

How many miles on the vehicle?
Does the concern happen frequently? (daily) or less frequently?
Does the radio change when the vehicle is stationary?
The other thing you could do is turn on vehicle engine off and run the radio to see what happens.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brandon,

Welcome to the FFO!

You might have benefited from starting a new thread as this one has no conclusion.

How many miles on the vehicle?
Does the concern happen frequently? (daily) or less frequently?
Does the radio change when the vehicle is stationary?
The other thing you could do is turn on vehicle engine off and run the radio to see what happens.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
It happens pretty frequently and idk about the rest I’ll have to try them and see oh also there are 148k miles on it

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Thanks for the reply. See if you can get the issue to happen when the vehicle is not moving. Either engine on or engine off.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2011 Escape with the same center stack and I had the same issue come up. Basically all the radio controls on the center stack and on the steering wheel did nothing. The compass and temp worked and the display would only read Ford Escape. I did everything you mentioned above with no luck. I got it working by holding in the power/volume button and the tune/ok button at the same time and after about 10-15 seconds everything just started working again. It’s my first time posting here, but I see there was no real response to the issue. I know it an old post but hopefully it helps someone out

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Thanks so much for posting!!!

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
There are video's on Utube about repairing your sound system yourself. If you are handy with a soldering iron? Just a thought. Or visit your local pull your own part junk yard and get a replacement.
Good luck.
Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts