Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue when trying to start a 2014 E250 van. I've got a new battery, alternator, and starter. The issue is sometimes when I turn the key I have nothing from the starter. All electrical is fine. If I move the key in/out a little, it will start normally. This doesn't happen all the time, only on occasion but when it does, I have to manipulate the key in/ out slightly or wiggle sometimes to get it to turn over.

What would be the cause of this issue? Is the ignition switch bad or the key mechanism? I would like to get it fixed as the van does not feel reliable to me. I am always wondering if I am going to get stranded eventually.

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
The signal to crank the engine comes from the ignition switch to the starter relay. The ignition key lock controls the ignition switch.

Based on what you have posted either -
The ignition switch is an issue. Worn or misadjusted.
Or the ignition key switch is worn.
Or the connecting parts from the key lock to the ignition switch are worn.

Inspection of the ignition switch is needed to see if it is being moved enough to activate the start signal to the relay.
>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the inputs. I've watched some of the videos on youtube, this seems to be a common problem with Fords. I am going to see if tightening the gear shift level helps any as it is a little loose then go from there.I also like the idea of just adding a remote start switch.

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
The loose column shifter would have impact on a neutral start switch. (Which I forgot about)
This switch only allows current to the starter relay when the shifter is in Park or Neutral. (Starting in gear is not a good thing)

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked those 2 T30 bolts under dash, they are tight. Does the shift cable have an adjustment on the other end at the transmission?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update... I think the mystery has been solved. The starter diode in/under the fusebox was burned up and did some damage to the fusebox. The shop is replacing the diode and fixing any other damage to make it good as new. This has been a real pain in the butt to get to the bottom of but I hope that this is the last of the problems I have. I've replaced almost everything else that could go bad (latest was the neutral safety switch on the transmission).

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Thanks for posting what you found. This may help some one in the future!

>>>>Action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts