Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time this escape goes into limp mode with code 1299/ First time was going down the road and it happened, had the head sensor replaced then and it worked fine for about 1 1/2 years. Wife backed it out of garage(cold engine) into street and it went into limp mode again. Car has 49000 miles. Noticed coolant level was down close to minimum. Would a low coolant level cause it to activate the head heat sensor and activate limp mode?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,576 Posts
Low coolant is only an issue for the electronics if the engine overheats. And yes the engine would go into limp mode to save the engine from major damage.

That is also what the P1299 code is about. …...
Error Code P1299 is defined as Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition. This means there’s an overheat condition, which is caused by multiple factors, such as a faulty thermostat, and low engine coolant

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,576 Posts
Either the engine IS overheating. Or the system thinks the engine is overheating. In either case the electronics will go to limp mode to save the engine from damage.

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. As it did this from a cold start and only moved 100 feet, I;m sure the engine was not overheated so i will have to look at other areas. I know they had a recall NHTSA 17V209000 to address installing a low coolant notice (which I think was done on this car)and wonder if if that system is activated, will it cause the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor to also activate.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,576 Posts
Those would be two different sensors

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,576 Posts
Disconnecting any sensor (which is the same as a cut wire) will trip a code.

That is one of the ways the computer checks to see if things work. It sends a signal to all of the sensors and actuators, looking for aa return signal. The return signal has to fit a certain format over a certain period of time. If not the check engine light comes on.

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Thanks to each of you for your responses!!Going to drop coolant level down below minimum and see what happens If not replace the sensor again ans sell the damn thing!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,576 Posts
Jimtao,

Welcome to the FFO!
I would suggest if you are having issues with your Ford, create a new thread.
Describe your vehicle and describe the issue.

Someone (me likely) will get back to you.
This thread is nearly two years old with no activity. The OP has never come back to this forum since then.

Action

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.