Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F150 5.0 was running great. I had to drop a boat in the water and it's a steep ramp so I put her into 4 wheel drive low, When I did this a message on the dash told me to drive forward to engage. I did that and she popped in pretty loudly. Coming out of the boat ramp I put her back into 2 wheel drive and again she popped pretty loudly. I continued to drive and I heard another popping noise and she was no longer in drive. It did not matter where I put the shifter she would not go into gear Even when I put her in park she was not in park, then after monkeying around back-and-forth trying to figure out what was going on when I put her into park she made a grinding noise and I can only assume she was in park because I couldn't move her. Anybody have any idea as to where I should start looking? Could it be transmission fluid level? Could it be a linkage issue? Or do I have to take her to a professional as it could be a tranny or transfer case? I'm grateful for any advice

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Sounds like the transfer case went into neutral not the transmission.
Based on the popping noise when you shifted the transfer case
OR
I assume you have automatic locking hubs. It may be possible the hubs are not locking.

If the vehicle does not move with the transfer case and transmission engaged in the cab. Look at the drive shafts, is the front drive shaft spinning and the vehicle is not moving?

Or thinking out loud - is the transmission output moving and the transfer case output not moving?

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
My F150 5.0 was running great. I had to drop a boat in the water and it's a steep ramp so I put her into 4 wheel drive low, When I did this a message on the dash told me to drive forward to engage. I did that and she popped in pretty loudly. Coming out of the boat ramp I put her back into 2 wheel drive and again she popped pretty loudly. I continued to drive and I heard another popping noise and she was no longer in drive. It did not matter where I put the shifter she would not go into gear Even when I put her in park she was not in park, then after monkeying around back-and-forth trying to figure out what was going on when I put her into park she made a grinding noise and I can only assume she was in park because I couldn't move her. Anybody have any idea as to where I should start looking? Could it be transmission fluid level? Could it be a linkage issue? Or do I have to take her to a professional as it could be a tranny or transfer case? I'm grateful for any advice
You have a vacuum shifted transfer case it could be the hose broken

1595278555128.png

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a chance to look into the couple of suggestions. When the truck is put into reverse or drive I hear some type of activity, the drive shaft did a little jerk but when I accelerate the drive shaft does not spin. When I pop her back into park I hear a grinding noise which I think is coming out of the transfer case.
I followed the IWE line to both of the hubs and it visually appears to be in good shape, on the passenger side hub one of the two IWE lines is not connected to anything, is this a vent line?
Prior to all of this happening I was getting slight grinding noise out of the drivers side hub like she wasn't retracting all of the way when disengaged but I did a test somebody posted on here and she responded accordingly. That grinding would eventually go away until I used and then disengaged 4 wheel drive again.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
There is an issue internally in the transfer case. That issue has to do with engagement or rather lack there of.

When you shift to a forward or reverse gear the transmission engages and sends power to the transfer case. But the transfer case is not engaging. It is just spinning inside.

That short part of the driveline is still spinning when you place the transmission into park. Then you get some grinding in park as the parking pawl engages the moving part in the transmission. You will want to stop that. Until the problem with the transfer case is resolved, shut off the engine before moving the transmission shifter into the park position.

As to the transfer case. I am going to revise my statement above. Ether the issue is internal to the transfer case or it is shift linkage/shifter not correctly working.

There is vent lines. And they should be connected at the hubs. See attached diagram.

Any check engine or warning lights lit up?

Action
picture_php_pictureid_25176_2bd47a5ade31a8a5e63a2d8314d708d37ca0a751.jpg

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not getting any check engine lights and no OBD codes.

I'm not sure how water would have gotten into the hubs? I'm assuming I have to pull the hubs to determine that?

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the video Dominick, that seems fairly straight forward and probably what was causing the grinding noise when I was rolling in 2 wheel drive.
I'm still trying to determine why she shifts but not into gear, I'm guessing the best way to investigate the shifter linkage is to have someone move the shifter while I am under the vehicle so see how the linkage responds, I will do that this evening and report back.

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got under the vehicle and inspected the linkage while someone else was moving the gear shift to reverse, neutral and drive and back again and it appears to be shifting correctly and I don't see anything amiss here.
Is it possible it could be the transfer case motor? The motor on the transfer case appears to be pretty rusty but I never judge a book by it's cover.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
So I got under the vehicle and inspected the linkage while someone else was moving the gear shift to reverse, neutral and drive and back again and it appears to be shifting correctly and I don't see anything amiss here.
Is it possible it could be the transfer case motor? The motor on the transfer case appears to be pretty rusty but I never judge a book by it's cover.
Is the motor electric?
They show so many of them in the catalougue

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it is electric, I don't see any vacuum hoses leading to the Transfer Case.

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the video it looks like an easy job but a pretty expensive part to replace without confirming it's the culprit, but if I was a betting man I would say the transfer case motor failed. I'm assuming the OBD II reader will not pick up this code? I have gotten software for other cars I have owned but not a Ford, is this software obtainable from forum members?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Thanks for the video it looks like an easy job but a pretty expensive part to replace without confirming it's the culprit, but if I was a betting man I would say the transfer case motor failed. I'm assuming the OBD II reader will not pick up this code? I have gotten software for other cars I have owned but not a Ford, is this software obtainable from forum members?
You could stop by Autozone and the can pull the codes for you
Or just use to old tactic
Tap it lightly and see if it breaks loose

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have the ability to tow her at will to autozone but I will try tapping on the motor as suggested.

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have determined that neither of the two shafts are turning, I tapped on the transfer case motor with the gear shift in different positions and I'm still stationary.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
I have only worked on one transfer case. It was on an early 1980s F 150 and the case was made by New Process. What I am saying is my experience is limited.

And my guess is the issue is internal and the case needs to come out.
And I would not invest more than $300 to $500
'2014 Ford F150 Transfer Case Assembly OEM 118K Miles (LKQ~211529328) | eBay

But I would want to know why it is not working to understand if it was user error.

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
So I have determined that neither of the two shafts are turning, I tapped on the transfer case motor with the gear shift in different positions and I'm still stationary.
I got thinking after I said tap the motor
On yours it's probably printed circuit the old style had a armature and brush that you could tap and it would break loose
Another thought that may be some help
Autozone has tool rental
Why don't you call them and see if you could rent an OBD 11 reader take it back home and pull the codes and then return it to them and they can give you the codes from their store system and then we can look the numbers up for you
I'm not up to date on the newer ones like yours but we will try our best to help

1 - 20 of 43 Posts