Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Good link!

I wonder if it is possible to remove the motor and manually shift the transfer case.
It would be a way of determining if the motor is good or not.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Good link!

I wonder if it is possible to remove the motor and manually shift the transfer case.
It would be a way of determining if the motor is good or not.
I was thing that or removing the drive shaft

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have an OBD II reader and there are no codes. Does the transfer case engage both drive shafts?
I'm thinking I can unbolt the transfer case motor from the transfer case and then have somebody engage 4 wheel drive and I can visually see if the motor is turning?

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I unbolted the transfer case bolts and the transfer case motor was spring loaded meaning when I broke it free it spun about 180 degrees. What's that is telling me is the the motor turned but the shaft in the transfer case didn't. I have never removed a transfer case motor so maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I have determined that the motor is not turning when the 4 wheel drive switch is actived. I wondering if there is some kind of safety mechanism that disengages the motor when something else goes wrong? I hate to spend $250 when every dollar counts right now and it not be the problem

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
So I have determined that the motor is not turning when the 4 wheel drive switch is actived. I wondering if there is some kind of safety mechanism that disengages the motor when something else goes wrong? I hate to spend $250 when every dollar counts right now and it not be the problem
I was wondering if it has a relay mounted in one of your fuse boxes
You owners manual should tell you

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I dont think it's the switch because I get the 4x4 lights on the dash when its moved. I tried to do the exercise in the first video but I was unable to loosen the screws. I sprayed some blaster on them and will pick it up in the morning.
How hard should it be to turn the crankshaft shaft where the motor mounts, should I be able to turn that by hand?

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I dont think it's the switch because I get the 4x4 lights on the dash when its moved. I tried to do the exercise in the first video but I was unable to loosen the screws. I sprayed some blaster on them and will pick it up in the morning.
How hard should it be to turn the crankshaft shaft where the motor mounts, should I be able to turn that by hand?
You may have to put a wrench on the crankshaft bolt
They must have had a lot of issues with that 4wd system
I read a lot today on it and it seems endless

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Just a thought
are you having any other issues on it besides the 4wd not working
the reason I ask that if so it may be related

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I dont have any other issues with the truck. She runs great and has 120k miles, I'm thinking this is the original transfer case motor.

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought a new transfer case motor but I am having a hard time installing it, the shaft that comes out of the transfer case is 180 degrees off, I can turn it with a wrench but it is spring loaded and bounces back to being 180 degrees off.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I bought a new transfer case motor but I am having a hard time installing it, the shaft that comes out of the transfer case is 180 degrees off, I can turn it with a wrench but it is spring loaded and bounces back to being 180 degrees off.
Can you turn the shaft on the transfer case motor
I think they showed it in one of the videos
Did they give you an instruction sheet?

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
See video in Post 13

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So good news and bad news, good news is the problem was the transfer case. The bad news is I turned the transfer case shaft counter clock wise and installed the motor and now she is in 4 wheel low but she does drive. I will watch that video and reinstall her correctly.

·
Registered
2014 F150 Lariat
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The only way that I can see to turn the shaft on the motor is by engaging the 4 x 4, I did that and reinstalled the motor. When I restarted the car I needed to take her out of 4 x 4 L, I got the message to pull forward so I got out of the car to get rid of the jack and jack stand, when I got back in the car she was in 4 x 4 H. I then put her in 4 x 4 A and again message on dash said pull forward, when I put her in 2 x 4 I got a weird grinding noise from the transfer case. The vehicle is now in 2 wheel drive and I'm afraid to engage the 4 x 4.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts