Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first post here. I recently purchased a 2015 Expedition EL Limited, and the front A/C and heat work fine, along with the front blower. However the rear air blower will work fine for a while and then for no apparent reason it stops blowing completely. This has happened when it is hot outside using A/C, and also cold outside needing heat. The fan speed control seems to work fine, as when the blower does work, it will ramp up and down based upon the control knob. Passengers in back are suffering - not good.

I have taken off the back (small) passenger-side access cover and was able to duplicate the problem, and wiggled wires to the blower motor resistor, blower motor, etc., but it had no effect.

Could this be a blower motor, blower motor resistor, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,056 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Intermittent electrical is difficult to diagnose. But if you can duplicate you are way ahead of the curve!
I am just not clear which wires you wiggled.
Or how you duplicated the issue.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter?

Action

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm sorry I don't think I really duplicated the issue, but just caught it during the defective state. Sometimes when I start the truck up the rear blower comes on instantly, and stays working for a while but other times it doesn't come on at all. It seems like when I turn the rear fan down to the second lowest notch (out of 8 or so), it seems to want to die. It makes a bit of a struggling sound, ramping a bit up and down, and then stops altogether. However sometimes it cuts out even when it is at the highest setting.

When it was in a non-working state, with the fan blower setting turned on high but the blower not moving, I wiggled all of the wires to the blower resistor and the blower motor, but it had no effect. I couldn't get it to turn on.

I do have a voltmeter that I can use - I don't have a test light at the moment however.

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,056 Posts
Your statement of, "It makes a bit of a struggling sound, ramping a bit up and down, and then stops altogether. "
sounds like a blower motor that is struggling.

However you might invest in a test light (under $20) and confirm there is power to the motor and the motor is not working.

And this may have some value
2015 Ford Expedition Blower Sensor FIX or REPLACE - Bing video

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, great idea to see if there is power going to the motor when it is in a disabled state, I'll try that. I have a multimeter and will check for voltage, and see if it also varies with changing the fan speed setting on the knob.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I am not able to get my multimeter probe to the wires by just getting the top access panel off. Anyone know of a good resource on how to remove the full interior trim covering the rear blower motor, resistor, and other items there, and if I need to remove the B and C pillar covers, seatbelts, etc.?

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,056 Posts
Reactions: TBIRD430 and aluker
1 - 7 of 7 Posts