Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the last couple of weeks that my brake pedal is very stiff/difficult to depress only when starting the car first thing in the morning or after it has sat for several hours (cold start). When putting my foot on brake pedal before pushing the start button, the pedal will barely depress. After the vehicle has started, the brake pedal depresses normally. If I drive my car and park it, turn it off and then restart it, the brake performs normal (the brake pedal depresses when foot applies pressure, and car starts after pushing the start button). Is there a problem in my brake booster/vacuum system? A leak? This issue only occurs on cold starts when the brake has not been used for several hours.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The brake pedal will have greater effort with the engine off.
When the engine is running (non-Hybrid) the bake booster and brake assist should work well the first time and all times.
If not there may be a leak.
It should be inspected if that is the case. And inspected cold. Which may mean leaving the vehicle for some time.

BTW if you have not flushed the brake fluid it is due to be done. I do not believe flushing out the brake fluid will cause that issue however it is a maintenance items that should be done every 5 years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Over a long period of time the fluid will get darker because it has absorbed moisture. And moisture is not a good thing in brake fluid.

Action

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Welcome To the Forum
I would take a look at the Vacuum hose that goes into the booster for leaks or cracks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

The brake pedal will have greater effort with the engine off.
When the engine is running (non-Hybrid) the bake booster and brake assist should work well the first time and all times.
If not there may be a leak.
It should be inspected if that is the case. And inspected cold. Which may mean leaving the vehicle for some time.

BTW if you have not flushed the brake fluid it is due to be done. I do not believe flushing out the brake fluid will cause that issue however it is a maintenance items that should be done every 5 years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Over a long period of time the fluid will get darker because it has absorbed moisture. And moisture is not a good thing in brake fluid.

Action
So after much going back and forth, the dealer did a pressure test on the vacuum hoses... and found there's a leak in the brake/booster check valve. I had purchased the premium care warranty when I bought the car, however they say this is not covered. The brochure says the warranty covers the following regarding brakes: • Anti-Lock Brake Module and Sensor • Brake Booster (Power) • Calipers • Combination Valve • ETA Pump Hose Assembly • Metal Lines and Fittings • Master Cylinder • Parking Brake Linkage and Cables • Retainers and Clips • Self-Adjusters • Shaft (Brake Pedal) • Springs • Wheel Cylinders
I don't know if this is covered or not--a check valve for the brake/booster system? The dealer said they checked with the warranty dept to see if it was covered and they say no. What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
This is Ford's website for ESP - the Premium Care Coverage
PremiumCARE (ford.com)
Fittings and lines are covered.

With that said, I have pictures.
The top one is a check valve for a 2012 and later Mustang. Not exactly your application however it is close.
The bottom picture is a brake booster for your vehicle! Notice the valve towards the top of the booster as it sits.
Neither of the pictures are "FORD" parts but should be relatively close. (ESOP is only going to [pay for Ford parts.)

There is a deductible with ESP. It used to be $25. May be more now I don't know. I would assume the check valve to be about the same cost as your deductible. It isn't difficult to replace in my opinion.

Action
XW4Z-2365-AA-2.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Dominick 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts