Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started a year ago. Happens in the rain but then when it dried out went away. Lights were almost constantly on for a month. Now after big snow storm warnings on all the time.

Message on dash says, Park Brake Aid Problem, Service Advance Track, Hill Climb Assist is off. After I OK each message it goes away but the ABS light is on and I guess the ABS is not working but car drives and stops.

Squigelly lines in upper corner of dash are lit. One says OFF.

I guess it will all clear up again when the freeze is over and car dries out. Is there anything to do about this other than take it to the dealer? Oh, BTW, no codes are set with engine on or off.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
The ABS system only works during braking. And then only if the system senses one wheel rotating at a different speed (slower or stopped) than the other wheels. This means that wheel is locked up and not braking.
If that occurs, the system releases brake fluid pressure to that wheel only for a very short moment. Typically, a fraction of a second.

If the ABS is not working the above will not occur. Regular braking will not be changed.

The squiggly lines light is about stability control. The vehicle can sense loss of control of steering or brakes. Works with the ABS system to gain control of both of those functions.

The description of those two systems is in the owner's manual. In the world called perfect neither system would be needed because the driver operated the vehicle is a prudent enough manner that the driver was fully in control at all times. Not over driving the environment and being aware of the environment are key.

With that said, if there is an error in either system a code will be generated, and a correct code reader can retrieve those codes. The start of diagnosing the concern is getting the codes.

Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm afraid my OTC code reader doesn't read brake codes or what ever codes may be set. The ABS light is on and the Advance Traction system off. The problem has left me alone for close to 6 months but it was present a year ago. Eventually it started acting right this one year ago time when it stopped raining.

I've read the owners manual. I know what ABS is and all it's various incarnations over the years. I normally love ABS brakes but my problem is that I'm going through inspection in about a week.

Supposed to warm up today and dry out. I'm hopeful it corrects then.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Go to a fast moving parts store and have them pull codes for free.

Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to pass inspection and if fail will have to go to the dealer. I hate the dealer. I also hate Ford for making a car with no spare tire. Just because everybody else wants to rob me blind does not mean Ford has to.

So I won't go on. I was hopping there was some simple common fix for some recurring problem with our cars and i had just not heard of it.

BTW, there are only idiots at the parts stores around here. I used one of their code readers about 6 years ago but it was worse than useless.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
The 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid does not have a spare tire.

It was the balance of offering a complex vehicle with enough features at a price that was acceptable for the buying public..By model year 2020 Ford came to the decision it could no longer do that even with things like leaving the spare tire off the vehicle and make enoughh profit on the car line. So for modle year 2021 most sedan (4 door car) car lines were discontinued including Fusion.

Rarely is there anything simple and common in the automotive industry today. The buying public does not want simple and common. Both of the features you are posting about are rather complex and involve electronics to pull off that feature. Again those features are not needed for the prudent driver. And many drivers want those features anyway and much much more for ever lower and lower costs. To build that kind of vehicle a company has to dominate the market on a razor thin margin such that volume makes up for the small margin. It is high risk manufacturing where market down turns can put you out of business even when you do everything correctly.

Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they are making the wrong decisions. I would think many drivers want a 4 door car. Many. Those drivers will go to Toyota or Hundai. They not only want a 4 door car they need a 4 door car.

Yeah, it's something in the computer I guess and only the dealer can fix it. Still it may pass inspection. I'm not sure. The car drives and stops. Inspections are funny. They may flunk it because the light is on. It's not the issue of the ABS not working. The issue is the light is on.

So I'll see. I'll report back next week or when I go.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
You are correct that car buyers are going to other makes.
And those makes have some advantages that US companies do not.
For Ford it is a business decision. Make more of a market segment that has a bigger profit margin.
Or build a lot of small cars for next to no profit and hope for no adverse markets.

Ford announced the decison in 2017. And that would have been after spending a bunch of time, effort and money on what if scenarios. The company has always done well with the light truck segment and in the last 25 years in the SUV segment. There just isn't that much money in small cars as small car buyers are always looking for low cost. Many times because small car buyers are looking for point A to B transportation. A truck or SUV buyer is typically looking for that and something else. Like hauling a load. The company can focus on things they do well and let Asian companies sell their vehicles.

Put it another way, (and I am just guessing) if the company makes the same money on 1 truck versus 8 cars it is far easier to sell one truck. That is my example not reality. However the reality is at some point desiging, manufacturing and selling one versus how many other types becomes a business decision. And part of that decsion was ..... if a new buyer gets an entry vehicle do they more up with the same manufacturer. At some point that was true. But a buyer of a small sedan (and no one buys a full sized car any more) just never moves up to a truck or SUV. If & when they did, many bought a F Series truck anyway. Back in the 70s Ford sold Pintos at a loss. However the decsion to do that was the Pinto buyer would move up to a LTD eventually. OR the LTD owner needed a second "cheap" car. They had the LTD and bought a Pinto. Today the Hyundai buyer just doesn't buy a pick up truck. That person may not buy a Hyundai again however they are going to buy a small sedan. And it has to be a 4 door sedan because the US car buyer in general won;t fit into a coupe.

Body styles that are just no longer purchased in the US except for niche builders.
Two door anything - smalll medium or large*
Including personal luxury cars, which were always two door but on the high end
3 door hatchback
Station wagons

*It used to been that Porsche sold sports cars. Whatever that defination was it was always with 2 doors. Porsche has been making 4 door cars for about a decade. I think it is rather funny.

Yeah Ford is going to loose some customers. However they are not going to loose money. And to stay in business for over 100 years you have to chnage with the market place and make money where you can and leave the rest of the market place to the others that want to play in that water.

Action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts