Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2018 Fusion w 58k miles, have had the car problem-free for 2 yrs.

Came back from a beach vacation (did not drive on the beach), and on the way back had a weird situation while trying to fill up. The car flashed a message that the fuel door couldn’t be opened. Got home and attempted filling up again, this time the door opened fine, but the handle on the gas pump handle kept clicking off like I was trying to over fill the tank.

I managed to slowly fill the car, but a check engine light came on. Took it to Autozone for their free scanning service, and it was/is this same P04B4 code, “Refueling Vapor Control Valve Stuck Closed”. The Autozone Manager stated this valve is IN the fuel neck and that the entire neck needs to be replaced. The part is listed at $338, he seemed as disgusted with that prospect as I am, and suggested I call the dealer for a read on the repair.

In the meantime, I’m seeing YouTube videos on cleaning and maintenance of the fuel door area, as a way to avoid such issues. I’ve done some of that, we’ll see if that’s a remedy. If anyone else has suggestions, I’m certainly open to and appreciative for them.

J

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,569 Posts
Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

It may be possible the the part is covered under the emission warranty.
2018-Ford-Car-Lt-Truck-version-5_frdwa_EN-US_01_2018_3.pdf (fordservicecontent.com)

The emissions warranty is not always easy to understand. With coverage up to 8 years 80,000 miles.
Fuel filler tube and seal are parts on that list.

Acttion
Unfortunately doesn't look like it covers Texas which is really a pooper... I'll call a local dealer and see if is covered anyway, maybe there have been changes...

J

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,569 Posts
Let us know what you find out

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, (YouTube is amazing!) I was able to solve my problem by A. Cleaning around the fuel door and filler area, B. Spraying a small bit of WD40 in the fuel valve area holding it open with the fuel adapter that's in the trunk, and C. about 25 times, quickly inserting and removing the fuel adapter. These actions seem to have released the stuck vapor control valve. I filled up today with no issues whatsoever, no shutoff's, etc. Now I just need to clear the "check engine" code/light.

J

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,569 Posts
Thanks so much for posting back your solution. So few people do that.

Action

Reactions: Jeeves
1 - 7 of 7 Posts