Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my moms 2018 awd titanium goes has just under 50k miles and has already gone through 3 sets of tires. Its had multiple alignments. With-in 6mnts the alignment is off again. Front and rear, mostly rear camber.

Im looking into rear camber bolts to make it easier for the techs to alignment cause most of the time they dont even touch the rear camber or say its not adjustable, unless its the dealership, but i havent had food luck with them either. Spent months chasing a vibration they still havent fixed.

But anyways...are the camber bolts the same for the front and rear? Some kits i see say front/rear, or separate front and separate rear, but they look the same. Some the fronts usually come with 2 where it rears usually come only 1. Ive even seen some have 4 bolts and say for all 4 wheels. Its just seeing the fronts and rear separate is making me question this and want to make sure i get the right ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the car got an alignment 11/10/21
Before
Left front right front
Camber -1.1 -0.8
Caster 3.4 3.6
Toe 0.96 -0.53
Total toe .43
Steer ahead .75

Left rear right rear
Camber -1.3 -2.3
Toe 0.06 0.15
Total toe 0.21
Thrust angle -0.05

After
Left front right front
Camber -1.2 -0.9
Caster 3.4 3.6
Toe 0.08 0.13
Total toe 0.22
Steer ahead -0.03

Left rear right rear
Camber -1.4 -2.3
Toe 0.06 0.16
Total toe .22
Thrust angle -0.05

So basically when got the car back all that was wrong was the right rear camber. I got a camber bolt and put it in the front bolt of the upper control arm n messed with the rear eccentric bolt for the lower control arm. When i put the wheel back on n back on the wrong the top of the tire was way way in, -camber. So i took the wheel off and messed with it a little more, put the wheel back on, looked pretty good. Sent it for an alignment. So now this is 9 days after the alignment/specs above.
11/19/21
Before
LF RF
CAMBER -0.8 -1.0
CASTER 3.6 3.3
TOE 0.22 0.24
TOTAL TOE 0.46
STEER AHEAD -0.01

LR RR
CAMBER -0.9 -1.5
TOE 0.08 1.25
TOTAL TOE 1.34
THRUST ANGLE -0.58

AFTER
LF RF
CAMBER -0.8 -0.9
CASTER 3.6 3.3
TOE 0.25 0.21
TOTAL TOE 0.46
STEER AHEAD 0.02

LR RR
CAMBER -0.9 -2.1
TOE 0.14 0.17
TOTAL TOE 0.31
THRUST ANGLE -0.02

I never touched the front. All I did was put the rear right camber bolt. Some how 9 days later now not one but both front jam nuts are frozen. No problem adjusting the front 9days ago, but now they cant adjust the front. After installing the camber bolt, i had the camber pretty good, but the toe off. They couldnt get the camber right even with the new camber bolt, but got the toe right. But how does the front get that far off in 9 days? Especially if the jam nuts are frozen! These were the 4th and 5th alignments on this car. Got the car with 15k now has just under 50k. Why is the alignment constantly going out so fast? Has anyone else had problems with these cars/this platform not holding alignments?

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
My teenaged daughter has a 2010 Fusion.That car has about 110,000 miles.
This was a hand me down car from her grandmother who hardly drove it at all/ 5000 miles in 4 years.
No abnormal tire wear.
Tires were replaced (from normal wear) in July 2021
In early October 2021 my daughter nailed a curb on both right side tires that the tires AND wheels had to be replaced.
As far as a know in the last month she has put several hundred miles on those replace tires (the second time) and no abnormal wear.
Have no clue as to alignment angles as it has not been to a shop to check.

Not sure what to tell you other than to has a shop inspect and repair as needed IF the tires are wearing. You may need to rotate tires if wear has been present on existing tires.

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the new tires where just put on 9 days ago so no wear on those, i can see factory tires wearing out in 30k, but 2 sets of tires wearing ok each with 10k. Never rotated the factory tires, but can tell from how fast tires are wearing and how many alignments ots had that its just not holding alignments. Especially one was done 9 days ago and is already out. I can see if something was loose and thats why it went out, but they said they couldnt even move the jam nuts, so how could the alignment go out that fast if they couldnt even move the jam nuts? I think the kid at townfair was just a wuss n too weak or too lazy to crack them free. But regardless the alignment still shock on 9 days. And from all the tires and alignments its gone through its obviously not holding.

She loves the car, but with only 50k and going through this many tires and alignments, she wants to now get rid of it because its not worth it to keep it if it keeps going through tires and alignments this fast. The dry rotted used tires i got her lasted the longest for far. Longer than the brand new falkens. It was only one of the used tires that wore on the inside. Rest of the tire and the other tires were still good. The factory tires and the falken tires were all bad. Just crazy how fast its going through tires and alignments. Never seen anything like it and ive had and worked on tons of cars.

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
I am not sure I understand the tire wear.

The tread on the original tires are not as deep as replacement tires. The original set could be worn out in 30,000 miles.
What was the wear like?
Can you post a picture?

If the tires are not wearing abnormally and the vehicle does not pull I am inclined to leave alone

The 11-19 readings are not that far off
And depending on how the vehicle was set up and the alignment equipment was mounted getting different readings is possible because the flex in the suspension.
Vehicle set up has to be done the same way every time.

Tire rotation is important every 10,000 miles. Many tire shops do this for free.
Not sure where you are located, I use Discount Tire for all of my vehicles. They have several free services. One of which is tire rotation.

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tire was has always been on the inside shoulder of the tires. I understand the original tires arent great and dont last as long, but the second set of tires, the Falken tires, those only lasted 10k. All worn on the inside jus like the factory tires. The car had 2 alignments w those tires, each time the alignment was good when it left and next time it was in it was off. The used tires, just the rear right was worn on the inside after around 10k. Those tires also had two alignments.
These new tires had an alignment when first installed, well now 10days ago, rear right was off so i replaced factory bolt with a greasable camber bolt in the front of the camber arm/upper control arm. Went back 9days after the tire install+ alignment to have the alignment corrected and the front was already off after just 9days. I had the camber set correctly with the addition of the new camber bolt as shown by the specs went it went in for the alignment, but the toe was off. After the alignment it was said the front couldnt be adjusted do to not one but both jam nuts seized, eventhough they just adjusted them 9days ago. When they did the rear, i had the camber set good but toe was off, now the toe is good but the camber isnt any better than before the addition of the camber bolt.
Regardless of the last alignment, its obvious the townfair tire it was at is jus lazy or incompetent, but throught the life of the car, it just doesnt hold alignments. As shown by being off after just 9days, and how fast all the tires (minus the new tires since its only been 10days since installed) have worn out. 2 sets of tires both got 10k or less. Its not like the car never gets alignments and thats why the tires wear so fast, the car has had many alignments but they never hold for long. Yea we dont have the best roads around here, but we have 3 cars, have had many, none have ever gone through tires and alignments as fast as this car does.

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I have not experieced that kind of thing

Action

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Have them align the car with the driver in it, I had a Focus that would destroy rear tires. We finally found the problem was the ride hight was to high. We set the rear toe to zero and aligned it with me in the car. Tire wear was normal after that.

Reactions: Action
1 - 10 of 10 Posts