Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a serious noob, but learning.
1965 Galaxie; 352 FE
Adjustable Rocker Arms; hydraulic lifters.
Old rocker arm shaft broke + a couple bent push rods near where shaft broke (not sure why or which caused which).
Bought new rocker arm shafts and new pushrods.
Went to install them following the shop manual.
Removed old rocker arm shafts, got the motor to TDC compression (I think; #1 piston at top, both pushrods on #1 even height).
Stopped dead in my tracks when I realized the manual tells me to check valve clearance, but doesnt show the 352 having adjustable rocker arms.
Can anybody give me a step by step noob tutorial on how I get these new rocker arm shafts installed with the valves in a spot where they wont dick the motor when I try to start it?

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
I believe the only V-8 of that year that had adjustable rocker arms was a police 390. It had solid lifters that required adjustments.
The 352 had hydraullic lifters with no adjustments for lash.
The shop manual may direct you to check to make sure you will not cause damage if the lifter is still pumped up

The bigger question is why the push rods got bend.
Has the engine been sitting a long time?

Acion

·
Registered
642 Posts
adjustment comes in the form of different length pushrods
+1,

As for the bent push rods and broken rocker shaft, the valves in FE iron heads love to stick in the guides. It's from an engine sitting a while and then trying to crank it. It would behoove you to check the valves before reassembling and cranking so you don't have a repeat.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Yeppers!!!
Been there, done that, got the push rods to prove it!

Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts