Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F150 with a 4.6L engine. It has a head gasket leak and there is water in the engine. I would like to flush the engine and radiator, adding fresh oil and water. The water would have a sealant called Blue Devil to seal the leaks. I was told by a couple mechanics and parts people. Is this a good fix for a budget? I am on a fixed income since my wife and I are both disabled. I'm just going to use it for a fewe months but need it to work til I get something else. What are the thoughts of the Ford Forum.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
If the coolant leaks into the crankcase it will dilute the oil and cause excessive wear rapidly. (Over a period of time) May have done a number already requiring major engine work or replacement.

If the leak is getting into a cylinder, this will cause the engine to lock up and damage the engine all of a sudden.

A stop leak product rarely works in the area (head gasket) you suspect the leak to be in. It works far better in a radiator leak.

What changes in a few months?
Because in a few months the engine may not be running.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoping to have a job by then. Right now no one wants to hire a 50yo shipbuilder/designer. They want my experience and training but in a younger model.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
I understand. And sounds like employment is not a definite. It is your choice as to what to do. And may not be an easy one to make.

And a shipbuilder/designer that has to take the bus or has less than a reliable way to get to work may be an issue for an employer. I doubt your age has anything to do with hiring. It is all about the rate of pay. Which is a whole different topic.

In my opinion, you are taking a lot of risk with a stop leak product. Again just my opinion.

Good luck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts