Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of gas today (or at least I think I did). Tow truck delivered 10 litres. 3 minutes away I fuelled up and it only took 10 more litres. 60 litre capacity. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Suggestions for what?

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Suggestions for what?

Action
It seems that if my tank was empty when I ran out of gas and the tow truck driver put in 10 litres then I put in 10 because that’s all it would take and the tank holds 60 litres it doesn’t add up. Maybe I wasn’t out of gas but when it shut down at the side of the road if felt like it.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Maybe the gas gauge isn't that accurate anymore.

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
If that was the case the more correct term was you did not run out of fuel.
However the fuel may have stopped getting to the carb. In that case ....

Bad fuel pump?
Plugged filter
Issues with carb like float, needle & seat or some other thing
Time for some diagnosis.

Have you confirmed there is no fuel at the carb?

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that was the case the more correct term was you did not run out of fuel.
However the fuel may have stopped getting to the carb. In that case ....

Bad fuel pump?
Plugged filter
Issues with carb like float, needle & seat or some other thing
Time for some diagnosis.

Have you confirmed there is no fuel at the carb?

Action
Funny thing is once the Jerry can emptied into the tank the car started and ran fine. Thanks for your input. I will continue to check all components as you suggested.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The fuel filter would be first on list.
If can not see through remove and look at the fuel coming out.
I might be inclined to replace it no matter what
Especially if this is a new to you car or the filter has not been replaced in 15,000 miles

Action

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Funny thing is once the Jerry can emptied into the tank the car started and ran fine. Thanks for your input. I will continue to check all components as you suggested.
Hello Sunliner 56,

With that old of a car and those symptoms I would suggest removing the fuel tank and looking at the fuel pick up. I've seen fuel pickups in tanks from the early 60's disintegrated and the engine can't suck fuel from a great portion of the tank because of it. Or the metal line could be rotting away from moisture in the tank and it has holes in it. Either way time for a complete fuel tank inspection.

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had this same scenario before. In my case, there was debris in the fuel tank and over a number of miles it would get sucked to the pick up screen (the filter on the end of the fuel pick up tube that goes into the tank) and then the vehicle would quit. Once the vacuum stopped, debris would fall off and then the vehicle would start again and drive for an additional distance. So if that's your situation, the wait and then the agitation from adding fuel cleaned enough debris from the pick up filter to allow it to restart.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the problem was with the inline filter, it likely would not have cured itself but it's a good idea to change them out regularly anyway. I remove the filter and then gently blow it in the reverse flow direction to see what comes out. (I've done this on the side of the road before to get going again...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts