Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At least I think it's the EGR cooler that's leaking. The engine got very sluggish and the turbo lag was excesive. I took it to the Ford dealer (my first mistake). They replaced the EGR valve but claim they didn't replace the cooler. I wonder since there is now a nut missing from the stud holding the cooler down. Now I have a coolent leak coming from the back of the engine. Just a slow drop, enough I have to add a quart of coolent every couple of weeks.
Could it be the EGR cooler?

Any Ideas how to find the leak would help.

The rig is a 2004 Excur 4X4 6.0L diesel. The engine was tagged as built in 2003.
Thanks,
JJR

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
EGR coolers where a huge problem back a few years ago. They were redesigned and a lot of them were replaced. Not an easy job. that's probably why the dealer is fudging. Not many 6.0 techs in the aftermarket though and I wouldn't trust that engine to an amateur. Look for a better dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That stud holding the EGR cooler doesn't have a nut on it. It's for a wiring harness clip to hold the harness in place. When the EGR cooler leaks, you'll see coolant blowing out the degas bottle cap. If there's coolant running down the back of the engine, it could be the short hose connecting the EGR cooler to the oil cooler cover that's leaking. To see if the coolers are working properly, it would be better to have a scan tool and watch the ECT and EOT pids during a road test, not to mention a cooling system pressure test. Don't ever let that thing run low on coolant, you'll melt the EGR cooler. It would also be good to get the PCM updated to the latest calibration as they've added some protection for the FICM and EGR cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EGR Coolent Leak

Thanks Guys, :crazy:

I won't go back to that dealer for sure but have not found a recommended 6.0 mechanic in South Orange County CA.

I did some snooping this morning and found what looks like a leak. There is a red rubber hose coming out of some box like fixture on top of the engine just in front of and under the turbo. It's all crusty around the fitting. It looks like dried coolent.

Any idea what and where that hose goes? Or how to get to it?

JJR

·
Registered
29 Posts
that sounds like the coolant hose between EGR and oil coolers. If the CAC tube drips oil onto that hose, it will swell. It'd be quite a challenge to change that hose without removing the EGR cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts