Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on my '65 Fairlane 500 model 65A.

I ordered my upholstery from Classic that should ship in a couple days (finally after 4 months!)

In the mean time, I managed to find another new set of seat covers for a 65 coupe from classic industries. It is the two tone blue.

My question is, will this upholstery for a 65 bench seat fit my 62 bench? Just figured I could put it to use on another car.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
My question is, will this upholstery for a 65 bench seat fit my 62 bench? Just figured I could put it to use on another car.

Thanks!
Mike
Chances are good.
The fourth gen Fairlane spans 62 to 65. During that time the width of the car did not change
However the actual dimension are not given in shop manual or parts catalog.

Measuring is the only for sure way to find out.
Finding some one that has both vehicles or has put a 65 cover on a 62 will be rare
But if you have both seats or install the cover post those results

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do Action. Lord knows how long it takes to get seat upholstery from Classic right now so I'm reluctant to let it go.

My 62 has older re-upholstery on it that is splitting.

Not sure what year they started the two tone blue interior though . . . My '62 is currently Baffin Blue outside but was Viking Blue Poly from the factory which I will go back to.

Mike

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Seat colors and variation of material was something that had far more choices back than versus now.
It was a way a consumer could "customize" their vehicle.
Which made variations for a given model year close to 100 choices

Vinyl versus vinyl & cloth or all cloth. And there may be different cloth types
And colors could be different as well.

Kevin Marti of the Marti reports fame, found a way to capitalize on that. He put all of the option choices into a computer program. When someone ordered a report he could compare their car to what was built and come back with Hey your car is 1 of 23 built like that. Sure it is, even if Ford made 100,000 copies, there are only 23 with that option combination. Sadly this is only good for 1967 a later models. Ford had a fire that destroyed all data on vehicles prior to that. (And I am not sure how far back but may have been to WWII) Kevin bought records from 1967 and later for cheap because Ford didn;t want to pay for storage. Ford has since changed their mind in the last decade or so and uses Kevin as a resource.

There is your Ford history lesson for the weekend. So you answer the wonder when Ford did that, the answer is in the shop manuals and parts catalogs. And I know it was a lot before 1962

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just been super busy. Went out and glanced at them with a quick measure and the '62 rear seat bottom is several inches taller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts