62 Falcon | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

62 Falcon

Discussion in 'Ford Falcon' started by squirreling, May 16, 2020.

1. squirreling

squirreling New Member

Dad passed away and left me the first car he ever bought new, and the first car I ever drove. Im going to have lots of questions as it has sat non running for 18 years. Be patient with me.
    JameyE likes this.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcome to the Forum
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

You are in a good place here.

Action
  4. ms fowler

ms fowler Member

Sorry for your loss.
    Yes! You are among friends here--knowledgeable and willing to help.
    Post your location---you never know if there is help right nearby.
    Have you tried to turn the engine? Is it frozen?
    Oh, if you post the VIN we can tell you how it was originally built.
    Factory Shop Manual is always a good starting point
    The 2 volume set of Ford Parts Books --Text and Illustrations is handy, but I have them and may be able to post some pages if you need them.

Your Plans?--Restore to original? Preserve what you have? Repower with a modern driveline but otherwise keep it original? Swap out the driveline and suspension and make it a modern car? Or race it? No wrong answers--just have to know what direction you are heading to be able to help.
  5. squirreling

squirreling New Member

Frisco Texas

Not planning on a complete restore but a restore that makes it look good and runs well. Its the original goal that Dad had. Ive drained the gas and replaced, changed oil, plugs, and after some work, it finally turned over and will run. Electrical seems to be my biggest issue. Major weak spot of mine. Replaced fuses and plugged in some unplugged wires. Head lights work, tail lights do not. Left side blinkers blink, right side light up, but do not blink.
  6. Action

This may help you.
    https://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/bringing-a-car-back-from-the-dead.23025/

A 62 Falcon has very basic electrical systems. Which will be rather easy to help you. The recommendation of factory shop manual is very good if dad did not already have as set.

>>>>>Action
  7. Action

Location - click your user name in the upper right corner. Your personal details will be shown. You can add your city and state so you don't have to do this more than once.

Action
  8. Action

And blinkers --- usually when one side flashes and the other side does not, it is due to a burned out light bulb. OR the light bulbs on the non-blinking side are incorrect.

The flasher (that makes the on off lighting happen) bases the flash rate to the amount of current flowing through the system. There are some light bulbs that will fit the socket and won't flow enough electrical current. (Or the flow is too little) If that is the case the flasher won't flash.

If you have the owners manual the correct light bulb will be listed.

BTW this is good to know if you decide to go to LEDs. For me I have upgraded only illumination lamps to LEDs. I have not done head lights nor turn signals. It requires a resistor or controller.

Action
  9. Action

And we will want to see pictures - The good, the bad and anything else.

Action
  10. POWERBAND

POWERBAND New Member

"Not planning on a complete restore but a restore that makes it look good and runs well."

Nice but not 'perfect'
    vehicles are getting more respect now, old pickups and 'more door' 4dr cars along with commercial vehicles.

.. intermittent lights' and sediment in fuel tank is a problem with vehicles that have been sitting unattended. (aside from vermin)

... sounds like your signals may be 'grounding through the feed'

Often simply removing all the tail/ turn and park/turn bulbs and cleaning the sockets and bulbs will restore correct operation. Galvanic action can seriously corrode the copper ground or bulb's electrical solder contact to steel socket connection over time. Any ground connections are suspect..

.. . @ 20 years and my '63 Falcon wagon is @ half done .. the 'blinker' selector switch on column needed replacing on the '63 wagon , would not work correctly.

ai.postimg.cc_CZtFtKqX_63falcon2.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_GHyYs0YX_100_1919.jpg

have fun
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. Iowan

Iowan Well-Known Member Respected Member

Old cars are never "DONE" just ok for now.
  12. Action

Ain't that the truth!

Action
  13. ms fowler

ms fowler Member

Truth~!
  14. squirreling

squirreling New Member

All bulbs are correct and good. Left side blinks, regardless of which bulbs are installed. Right side just lights up and will not blink.
  15. Action

For that vintage of vehicle, a bulb that lights up and does not flash usually means there is one bulb burned out. That is the short story.

Longer version - what makes the lights flash is the amount of current moving through the circuit. The flasher is part of the circuit. When enough current moves through the circuit the flasher heats up a bi-metallic switch and the switch opens. Causing the current to stop flow. (lights out) The bi-metallic switch cools down and allows the current to flow through the circuit. (Lights on) And this is what causes the light bulbs in the turn signal circuit to flash far faster than I can type this.

No flash! Not enough current flowing. To get more current flowing all the lights have to be working. AND the lights have to be the correct ones that flow enough current. Light bulbs that fit and are of the incorrect brightness or flow a different rate of current may not flash. A variation of that is LEDS bulbs. They are bright but flow very little current. Change incandescent lights for LEDs in the turn signal circuit, you will have no flashing with out making other arrangements. And the turn signal light bulb on the instrument panel is part of the circuit.

Action
    RPMagoo likes this.