63 1/2 Conversion to Power Steering | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

63 1/2 Conversion to Power Steering

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by ShelbyCobra5, Jun 28, 2020.

1. ShelbyCobra5

ShelbyCobra5 New Member

I just recently purchased a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL fastback Z code engine. I am going to add Power Steering. Is there a good conversion kit available?
  2. redrag

redrag Well-Known Member Respected Member

from what ive seen and heard, there isn't anything foolproof. i would find a stock box and add the pump and linkage
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Are you looking for a stock (Or Ford) power steering system. Or an aftermarket?
    Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Why do you call your Galaxie a 63 1/2?

>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

The 1963 model was essentially unchanged save for some freshening and added trim; windshields were reshaped and a four-door hardtop 500/XL was added. A lower, fastback roofline was added mid-year to improve looks and make the big cars more competitive on the NASCAR tracks with less drag and reduced aerodynamic lift at high speed. This 1963½ model, the industry's first official "½ year" model,[15] was called the "sports hardtop" or "fastback" (it shared this feature with the for 1963½ Falcon).[15] Galaxie buyers showed their preference as the new sports hardtop models handily outsold the "boxtop" square-roof models. The sports hardtop was available in both Galaxie 500, and Galaxie 500/XL trim. Mercury also received the new roofline (under the Marauder badge) in Monterey, Montclair, and Park Lane models. This year, a no-frills big Ford, priced around $100.00 below the base Galaxie sedans. wa
    We have one over at the shop
  5. Ray Davison

Ray Davison Member

I have two Unisteer R&P units. One is on a 55 Ford wagon that is still a rolling chassis with the body on a rotisserie. I had to fiddle with the mount because I am using a 76 T Bird column.

The other is in a 65 Mustang. It has done two cross countries of about 6K miles each. Very happy with it.

But, they are not cheap.

I have pics if you are interested.