Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Falcon Futura Convertible that has a gas smell. I've checked all the fuel lines and fuel tank and don't see any leaks. I'm wondering whether it could be coming from the carburetor. I'm thinking about replacing my carburetor to see if that works. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You should be able to determine if the smell is coming from the front or back of vehicle.

Are you replacing the carb from some other reason?
After running the engine, do you see areas that are wet outside the carb?

Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
40 Posts
If you've done any work around the tank filler pipe at the rear of the car that would be a place to look. The large hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank is a common place for gas smell. I had a problem there when I replaced that hose, had to really tighten the clamps to stop the smell.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have concluded that the smell is coming from the engine compartment. I inspected all of the fuel lines and determined that none of the lines are leaking. The smell seemed to be coming from the air intake nose of the air cleaner canister. When I removed to air filter, the smell became much stronger. I would only replace the carburetor in an effort the remove the fuel odor. The smell is also strongly noticeable when we drive the car. The engine is very clean and the car is not dripping any fluids. For these reasons, I suspect the smell is coming from the carburetor. Always open for suggestions and/or ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've done any work around the tank filler pipe at the rear of the car that would be a place to look. The large hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank is a common place for gas smell. I had a problem there when I replaced that hose, had to really tighten the clamps to stop the smell.

Bob
Bob - I will check the fuel tank connections again. the hose connecting the filler pipe is new. I will make sure it is tighten down as you suggested. That said, I think the smell is coming from the front of the car because we can smell it as we drive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check the two hoses in the trunck. My car had that smell when I first bought it. You open the trunk and don't see a leak because the level isn't high enough to see gasoline. However if the hoses are hard as a rock like my small vent line was they are tight but not in contact with the steel line. I replaced the vent hose and it went away.

Another way to tell is as you know the modern gas pump fill at a higher rate making it a tedious task when trying to fill up only to have it gush out onto your shoes. This happened to me which is actually how I found out. The pressure back flow caused the gas to leak into my truck and was still wet when I got home.

I think it was a 5/16 hose.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
Not sure where the crankcase vent valve (PCV) is for that vehicle and that may be a source

I would not replace the carb because it smelled of fuel or even if it leaked.
The gaskets for the carb bowl would come in a kit
And the float level may be adjusted too high
There will be a bowl vent somewhere. And for 1963 it would be vented to the outside of the carb.

It may be possible the cowl bulkhead between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment has air leaks. A 1963 engine will not be sealed up as a modern one. They will vent fumes to the engine compartment/

Action

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the smell a new occurence?. Has the car ever not had the gas smell?.

... good thought about the cowl and firewall leakage - especially Falcon type heater cowl seal.

as mentioned, early cars like '63 will have open crankcase with 'road tube' venting and carburetor is basically open vented as well.
... the 1100 (?) carb in pic looks pretty tight but any internal problems could aggravate vapors - a worn motors' oily 'blowby' is also vented directly - NO PCV...

- SIMPLE cowl vents behind hood by wipers can be sealed off which helps seal off engine compartment vapors. Magnetic stick-on precut ones available from vendors or just tape shut to test.

Magnetic vent seal on my '63 for cold weather:

have fun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure where the crankcase vent valve (PCV) is for that vehicle and that may be a source

I would not replace the carb because it smelled of fuel or even if it leaked.
The gaskets for the carb bowl would come in a kit
And the float level may be adjusted too high
There will be a bowl vent somewhere. And for 1963 it would be vented to the outside of the carb.

It may be possible the cowl bulkhead between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment has air leaks. A 1963 engine will not be sealed up as a modern one. They will vent fumes to the engine compartment/

Action
I greatly appreciate your suggestion. I will check the PCV vent valve the carburetor float level. Looks like I have something to do this weekend. I will report my findings. thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 63 Falcon Futura Convertible that has a gas smell. I've checked all the fuel lines and fuel tank and don't see any leaks. I'm wondering whether it could be coming from the carburetor. I'm thinking about replacing my carburetor to see if that works. Any suggestions?
I used to have that issue on my 78 F250. Turns out that the vent tube fitting on the top front of the rear tank leaked a little where it was attached to the gas tank, so when I filled the tank up it would get wet with gas around the seal and stink of gas. I never fixed it, I just don't fill the tank all of the way up now (top off). However, if I park on a hill with the nose of the truck facing down hill and I have a mostly full tank, I will get that odor again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts