Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search and may have missed a post along the way.
So I'm going to re-hash the Question, My apologies.
My 63 wagon currently has a 6cyl. rear axle, I am floating the idea of swapping to a V8 rear.
Other than early Mustang, what are the choices of swap rears that do not require customizing?
Thanks All

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,398 Posts
I am assuming you are asking about the rear axle. How you worded the post I am not clear.
With that assumption let's start at point A

The stock rear axle in the 63 Falcon with a 6 cylinder engine had a 7.25" ring gear with 4 lug axle shafts
The optional rear axle on Falcon with a V-8 had a 8" ring gear with 5 lug axle shafts. This was only available late in the 1963 model year with the optional 260 V8 engine.
It wasn't until late in the 1964 model run that Falcon got the 289 V8

The 1965 Mustang was the same way
7.25" ring gear with 4 lug axles for six cylinder and 8" ring gear with 5 lug for V-8 engines.

Does that help?

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Action
My 1963 Falcon wagon currently has a 4 lug 6 cyl. Rear Axle..... I am floating the idea of changing it out to a 5 Lug V8 Rear axle.
Besides early Mustang, what are the other choices / Makes /Models that can be swapped without customizing?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,398 Posts
The ring and pinion are available brand new. Axle shafts maybe

If you are looking to change an entire axle assembly - the best would be a 63 Falcon V8 rear axle assembly.
Because the width of anything else will be slightly different.

60 to 63 Comet will be the same width
67 to 68 Mustang V8 axle assembly will be the same width
64 and later Falcon axle assembly will be wider by an inch
65 & 66 Mustang will be shorter by two inches

Othe models will be too wide by more than that

And this may help with an entire assembly as the 67/68 Mustang has the closest dimension
1967-68 Mustang 6cyl to V8 Conversion - Average Joe Restoration

Action

·
Registered
151 Posts
5 lug would be an 8" rear. 7-1/4 is the 6 banger rear with a cover on the back. The 8" is a drop out pumpkin.

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
60-63 4 lug six rear to "V8' 5 lug these days:

probably simplest / practical /economical proposal is 70's Maverick/Comet 8". Original 63 up Falcon / Mustang 8" rears that bolt-in fit are rare and expensive.

Aftermarlket 9" made to correct spring hangers and 4lug width is ultimate option but OEM wheelhouse dimensionl limits tire size choices.

70-77 Ford 8" Mav/Coms' fit with no fitment issues but still will limitt ire size due to OEM wheel house dimensions. 8" MAv' is only @ 1/2 wider than early 4 lug.

I have an 8' Mav rear under my '61 Comet (T5 OD) and OEM 4 lug six 3.50:1 under my '63 Falcon Wagon (T5 OD). The 8" takes same internals as legendary Ford 9" (except gears). , the '61 Comet uses 9"- 3.80:1 Posi' center.

have fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts