Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 63 Galaxy 500 with a 390. I’m running classic auto aftermarket AC system and stock power steering system. It works great but if you give it anything more than half throttle it will blow power steering fluid out the top of the reservoir. We’ve used a stock pump, remand pump, and a new one and they all do it and will also start leaking from pretty much every where on the pump. The power steering system is mostly new and what isn’t new has been rebuilt. Is there something I’m missing that is causing it to do it? Also thought about switching to a Saginaw style pump but wasn’t sure if it would work with the rest of the system. Thanks

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Is that year Galaxie PS system have a reservoir mounted to the inner fender.
Would post a picture of the hoses that connect to the pump?

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
I have not heard of that issue.
The return line dumps into the reservoir under low pressure. However, while that is happening the pump should be drawing in fluid and pressurizing.
That one would have a filter under the top cover

Too much fluid in the system?
Filter restricted?
Is it possible the pump is spinning in the opposite direction?
Does the power steering system work otherwise?

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fill it to the full mark on the dipstick cap. I don’t think it would be spinning in the opposite direction. The system works great until you run out of fluid.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
How old is the filter?

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Remove the filter and see if that changes things. If not reinstall.

Action

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 63 Galaxy 500 with a 390. I’m running classic auto aftermarket AC system and stock power steering system. It works great but if you give it anything more than half throttle it will blow power steering fluid out the top of the reservoir. We’ve used a stock pump, remand pump, and a new one and they all do it and will also start leaking from pretty much every where on the pump. The power steering system is mostly new and what isn’t new has been rebuilt. Is there something I’m missing that is causing it to do it? Also thought about switching to a Saginaw style pump but wasn’t sure if it would work with the rest of the system. Thanks
Had the same issue with a 65 mustang once I got on the throttle hoses split and fluid came out of everywhere
My fix was I changed the pulleys to a slower the rotation
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts