Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Ranchero that has been upgraded to a 289 with C4 automatic. The work was done by the previous owner and was really well done so there are no mechanical reasons for the change.
However, I would really like a standard transmission.
There is no clutch pedal currently.
Ultimately, I would really like to have a shifter like the original Falcons/Mustangs.
Has anyone done one of these conversions?
I'm wondering about a hydraulic clutch vs a mechanical linkage.
Can I just unbolt the flex plate and bolt up a flywheel or will the motor need to be rebalanced?
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
The engine is balanced separately.
So is the fly wheel.
No modifications to the engine would be needed for a transmission change.

I do not have experience in the other items. My guess is you are looking at a new drive line as well.

Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Currently it has an 8" rearend from a Maverick. Probably need to replace the driveshaft. Mostly concerned about the clutch and clutch pedal setup and shifter location in the interior.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
From some one that has never done this -
I think the clutch & flywheel will come from whatever transmission you select.
You might want to figure out what year 289. It is my understanding there are two different bolt patterns for the bell housing or auto transmission. (5 bolt and 6 bolt) That pattern would dictate the bell housing and may make a difference in transmission choices.

How to engage and disengage the clutch may come down to an older stock 4 speed with linkage. Or going to something that has no stock arrangement (5 speed) and an aftermarket hydraulic clutch may fit the bill.

The pedals will be interesting - there are kits for sale and I have no clue how that would work.
The hump cut out should be easier. Cut a hole (in the floor and carpet) and don't cut your arms.

And yes you will have to have a drive shaft, slip yoke and universal joints made to order.

After spending a couple of thousand dollars on parts plus labor, you would have a column shifter and a floor shifter. Unless you are going to pony up to a new steering column.

Action

·
Registered
15 Posts
From some one that has never done this -
I think the clutch & flywheel will come from whatever transmission you select.
You might want to figure out what year 289. It is my understanding there are two different bolt patterns for the bell housing or auto transmission. (5 bolt and 6 bolt) That pattern would dictate the bell housing and may make a difference in transmission choices.

How to engage and disengage the clutch may come down to an older stock 4 speed with linkage. Or going to something that has no stock arrangement (5 speed) and an aftermarket hydraulic clutch may fit the bill.

The pedals will be interesting - there are kits for sale and I have no clue how that would work.
The hump cut out should be easier. Cut a hole (in the floor and carpet) and don't cut your arms.

And yes you will have to have a drive shaft, slip yoke and universal joints made to order.

After spending a couple of thousand dollars on parts plus labor, you would have a column shifter and a floor shifter. Unless you are going to pony up to a new steering column.

Action
I got a Tremec 5 speed and conversion kit from Modern Driveline in Idaho. For my 1960 Ranchero. Total cost of conversion was about $6500.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All good advice above; MDL is at least a good place to study to understand the parts you're likely to need. I considered them for my (now departed) Mustang, tho' by the time I found them they had abandonded the SF Bay Area, a not uncommon occurrence.
If you want a 4-speed, ideally you'd want a Ford "Toploader" (google it (it even came with a three speed on V8 Mustangs)), highly regarded; and within that series, do you want close or wide ratio. And, of course a good five speed will typically give better milleage at highway speeds.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
MDL can supply you a clutch pedal. The Z bar is available new aftermarket. I have one in my car but the upper arm needed to be adjusted to keep the clutch rod somewhat straight. When I swap the motor in a few months I'm converting the Z bar over to all rod ends with an aluminum clutch rod going to the pedal. SO it will be stronger and smoother.

All you would need it the trans from a Falcon (which I have for sale), bell housing, flywheel and cross member. I also have a new driveshaft that was made for a Falcon with a V8, T-10 and a 9" rear. It's too short for an 8" rear.

It's all available and a stick is a lot more fun than and automatic if street driving is the goal.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts