Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a customer that has a 63 Galaxie 2 door body style 65A. He bought a windshield rubber and windshield on line before we got involved. They both would not fit. He got a DW633 windshield. We got involved at that point. Told him he needed the DW618 windshield. He bought them both off Ebay and they came from www.autocityclassics.com The windshield is what we need. The rubber appears to be wrong. We could get it stretched around the glass and set the combo in place only to fight the install. After doing some measuring on that rubber the passenger side is just a bit longer in the A post section of the rubber. That appears to be where the install issue was giving us fits as there was to much rubber to lip over the pinch welds on the car. That rubber is from precision who makes a lot of the rubbers for a lot of late model and classic vehicle glass. So we talked with rubber the right way and they said we needed C3Az-6303110-C which is made by Dennis Carpenter. The rubber appears correct in that there is only 1 slot for the chrome as the previous rubber had slots on all 4 sides for chrome install. The car only has the upper chrome that gets installed in the rubber and the A post and lower chrome goes over the rubber. Well try to install the dennis carpenter rubber on the glass with the slot on the top side of the glass. Work my way down the A post area of the glass and start across the bottom only to see that the lower corner on the other side will be about 10-12 inches short of the corner. Flip it around to now put the slot on the bottom of the glass and it appears will go around the glass the correct way. Only issue now is that the slot for the chrome is now on the bottom and not on the top where it is suppose to be. So has anyone had this issue before?

thanks
corey

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if it matters but this is a galaxie 500 as well. I looked up on rubber the right way and it comes up with 2 possible rubbers.
PART #:C2AZ-6203110-A

THIS PRODUCT FITS
  • 1963-64 all Galaxie models except: 4 door hardtop [#57] / 2 door hardtop [#63] / convertible [#76]
or
PART #:C3AZ-6303110-C

THIS PRODUCT FITS
  • 1963-64 all Galaxie 4 door hardtop models [#57]
  • 1963-64 all Galaxie 2 door hardtop / Fastback models [#63]
  • 1963-64 all Galaxie convertible models [#76]
Waiting to hear back from them. Dennis Carpenter web site says nothing when you search out 63 galaxie but if you put in search that C3AZ-6303110-C number it comes up as available.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
The 2nd Gen (60 to 64) full sized Ford had a minor refresh in model year 1963. That refresh included a change to the windshield. I would be surprised to find any C2AZ- windshield part that fits a 1963 or 1964 model.

For model names of Custom, Galaxie, Galaxie 500 & Galaxie 500 XL will likely have the same windshield.
The difference would be in body type or body style.
The same vehicle in a convertible would likely have a different front windshield
The trim or weather strip may be different as the less expensive models may have no chrome around the windshield.

As to why the DC strip has a slot in the bottom for the chrome is strange. Many times the chrome is engaged into the top. The sides are slid under the top chrome piece(s) and locked down at the bottom. This is so water flows off of the top chrome and does not get behind the sides pieces.

I might be able to look up a part number

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. I believe the windshield that that the customer originally bought was a DW633 and they could not get that glass to fit. They had a glass install company come out and try it only for that tech to call his boss which could not get it. We then got involved. My boss took the glass they had bought and set it up against the body opening. The top corners touched the corners before the bottom was no way near where it would sit. The DW618 sits exactly where it should sit in the opening. Car was as far as we can tell not cut up and butcherer or wrecked to point the windshield opening was or is out of wack. The chrome that is for the car the top sits into the rubber and then the sides and lower are screwed into the body.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This car would be a good one for a complete redo as someone has done it years ago. Customer just wants a new windshield in it to be able to drive it and have fun with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Thanks for the pic of the warranty data plate.
That will help in getting part numbers based on body type in the parts book.
The parts book uses a different format for body style.

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thank you! Just crazy never thought this would be this much work trying to get a windshield installed.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
A 1963 full sized Ford with a body type code of 65A is a Galaxie 500 two door hardtop
For model years 1962/1963 a 65A body code is a 63 or a 67 body series code in the MPC
I know, kind of confusing

From the Ford Master Parts Cat (MPC) - and only parts that pertain to 1963 full sized Ford are listed with other years if the parts has other Ford applications

Windshields for 1963 full sized models
W618 or C2AZ 6203100 A (and B) for all body series except 63 & 76
W633 or C3AZ 7603100 E (and F) body series 63 & 76
NOTE:
Windshields in ( ) are tinted
body series 63 & 76 are 2 door hard top (63) and 4 door wagon either 6 or 9 passenger (76)

Windshield weather strips for 1963 full sized models
C2AZ 6203110 A all 1963 and 1964 body series except 57, 63 & 76 "with grooves for upper moulding"*
C2AZ 6203110 B all 1963 body series 75 "with grooves for upper & lower moulding"*
C3AZ 6303110 C all 1963 and 1964 for a 57, 63 & 76

*The words in " " are exactly as shown in the MPC

My Comments - the MPC is dated for 1969
Not all MPC are 100% correct for all part numbers and applications.

Considering a 65A = a 63 body series and the W633 windshield does not fit the opening, it is possible there is a mis-print.

But I can only give you what is printed in the MPC

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. yes the DW633 is what they bought originally and found was wrong. The dw618 is what we have on hand right now that fits the opening of the windshield and looks like we will be getting the C2AZ 6203110 A from rubber the right way as the other ones are not correct from having them on hand and trying them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dennis Carpenter is a good resource for rubber parts for full size Ford's, Ford trucks and falcon and comet,guess it helps me out that I only live just an hour or so from Concord NC.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Unfortunately I do not think Dennis Carpenter has windshield seals for a '63 Galaxie.
If they did it would be correct. That source has good quality and a bit expensive. But no question it would fit if they had one

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
20 Posts
Action,they actually had windshield and rear window rubbers for my father's 1961 Galaxie, checked their website and you are correct no listing for 63 windshield seal, yes they are high in price but that doesn't matter to me, everything I have purchased from them for my 64 falcon,and Dad has purchased numerous parts and pieces for his 61 Galaxie from them,as they say at Carpenters,Made Right and Fit's right,well worth the price me 👍

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
I would agree, if the price is high and the part fits perfectly, I am a buyer!

I have some Lincolns so I play in that water too. A friend of mine bought a weather strip from Steel Rubber for the convertible top where the top meets the windshield top.
$255 + shipping & tax. It doesn't fit correctly. grrrrrr

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definitely agree about Steele,we put a top on a 65 F100, purchased a Steele
windshield seal at Charlotte Auto Fair, was not even close to fitting!! Definitely Carpenter is the way to go as far as Ford reproduction rubber parts go 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited by Moderator)
Well we got the replacement rubber from Rubber the right way. Same issue as the precision rubber the customer got. Tried calling Dennis Carpenter only to have them tell us we had to reach back out to rubber the right way and then rubber the right way would reach out to Dennis. Just sent these pics to rubber the right way. The issue is the lower RH corner appears to be just a bit longer than the LH side. We can work the rubber entirely onto the glass. Tape it in place. Use a rope to try to work the glass in place like a normal rubber windshield but that extra amount of rubber binds things up and wont allow the rubber to go over the pinch weld area correctly or fully. We diamond measured the glass and the window opening on the car. Both diamond out even. So I know that is not an issue with one of them being out of wack. Any idea?

output (50).jpg
output (49).jpg
output (48).jpg
29437.jpeg
29439.jpeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited by Moderator)
We got word back from Dennis Carpenter to try install of the rubber in the car without the glass which we did with the precision one before but not the Dennis Carpenter one. They felt that if it installed on the car then there was an issue with the glass. Well its installed on the car without the glass and the same issue on the lower RH corner is there. To long. I have now reached out to both Precision as well as Dennis Carpenter through Rubber the right way. As far as I can see they are the only 2 that produce this rubber. Some where a long the way the measurements got wrong and no one has caught it. Any other ideas? The sad part is this car is not a restored car just guy wants to drive it and have fun but now he can't.

120552253_3285312514868716_3488617493501858255_n.jpg
120474738_333377304599257_6041887623312831645_n.jpg
120390155_254384245907591_8628109145993904198_n.jpg
120262383_409784840009338_606035627599300940_n.jpg
120297785_366544867719656_5216414092759659336_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts