Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
I forget, do you have a good glass and the weather strip is an issue?
That what it seems like on the picture just above.

If that is the case and there is absolutely no other solution, it may be time to take the matter down the custom road. It may not be easy if I understand the situation. To me (assuming you have a match for the glass) it looks like the replacement weather strip is too short along the bottom. If the bottom were longer, then the passenger side vertical strip would fit to the "A" pillar.

And it looks like the weather strip is made from 8 pieces. 4 corners and 4 sides glued (or attached) to make a complete windshield weather strip. If too short maybe DC or who ever makes this would send you a 6 inch section of the side that is too short. Then you would need to do surgery. Cut the corner at the joint with the side and insert a measured piece of weather strip that they sent. If it is too long, the do the same surgery, however cut out a measured amount of one of the sides, And glue in the cut ends.

Definitely not the ideal situation. And would hate to do this on a brand new $100 to $200 weather strip. But if there is no other choice. Elsewhere on this site is a guy that did this with a door opening weather strip of a mid-1970s LTD. This was done because the existing weather strip leaked badly and no reproduction weather strip is made. So he put his car under the knife (so to speak) and reassembled with generic weather stripping. To me it sounded like a bad thing was going to happen. He shot pictures and I was impressed. That situation was potentially was because it is in an opening that used frequently. Your situation has the advantage that the windshield once in is not opened and closed.

I will see if I can find the thread

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited by Moderator)
It appears just a bit short on the bottom but believe can stretch that little bit. MAybe less than 1/4" short but when we stretch it into the RH lower corner you can see how long the RH A post is by the picture. Not sure if we will cut it and make it fit but if we do the companies should take care of the cost of the rubber.

20201002_091633.jpg
20201002_091624.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I now have been contacted by Precision seals. They said the car based on the 65A body code should be a 633 but I know that is wrong. The saga continues.

.https://www.autocityclassic.com/1963-2dr-hardtop-galaxie-500-65a/ is the 618 windshield which does fit the car but they also show 63-64 Galaxie 500 here too but that is the 633 windshield that clearly we know does not fit the opening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited by Moderator)
Dennis CArpenter has not gotten us any measurements other than whatthey have asked us to try to do even though we have tried them all. Precision had emailed me back with the measurements to the seal based on the weld joints on the seal. I measured them and here is what I came up with using a rope to start at the weld joint and go to the other weld joint in all 4 corners.
Top suppose to be 54 3/4" seal is 55 1/4"
RH A post should be 16 5/8" is actually 16 1/4"
LH A post should be 16 5/8" is actually 16 1/2"
Bottom should be 67 1/2" is actually 69"
So clearly they both are way off. No wonder it wont fit. Waiting to hear what they will do.

image003.png

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
Keep us posted.

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well just got off the phone with Precision. They stated that Dennis Carpenter is the only one making this seal. With 3 seals and 2 of them from different lots for sure it is come to the fact that the only choice is to cut the seal and make it work. Precision did ask if we had the original seal as they would be interested in making a copy of it to tool up themselves but our customer threw that away a long time ago. So if anyone has one that they could be willing to have one made off of I am sure Precision would take it. Naturally that wont help us now as I am sure it would be 6+ months before one would be ready and this car is not staying here that long! Thanks everyone for all the help. Will keep posted if we do get it installed.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Good Luck on dealing with Dennis Carpenter
They had a part for a 52 Merc but wounld't sell it
I talked to the parts man there and he said Dennis might need it for a car he was working on

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
I have been wondering the outcome
How about making a pattern of the cut/modified one?
Post pictures of the completed job. And let us know how the surgery went.

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am thinking that as well. The 3 we have all have chrome slots on the upper and lower but the car only has the upper chrome inserted in the seal and the a posts and the lower chrome screws into the car.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts