Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a bit of a snag. I am converting my 64 Comet convertible from a 200CI to a SWEEEEET 289. I used PEPS thread from the other board to guide my way, but it appears that some SOB decided to destroy the long, hard, devoted work of many proud Falcon/Comet owners.

To the person who blew it, and other threads, into oblivion. Jeez I hope you got what you were looking for. Such maturity is rare in this day and age...makes me wonder if there is enough Ritalin in the world to help a Rhodes scholar like you through the day.:dita:

I bought what I thought were the right motor mounts for my conversion, but there seems to be something wrong. The frame mounts are right but the motor mounts sit WAY off to the side.

Can anyone direct me to the mounts that are right? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the new site! Most of the older fords had the motor offset to the passenger side , for steering box clearance and to match up to the offset rearends is my guess. Rich

·
Registered
77 Posts
Canuck
it looks just like the set up i am using, when i get in 10 posts, ill put a pic in this thread.
apparently, im still too new to post a pic :incazzato:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Canuck
it looks just like the set up i am using, when i get in 10 posts, ill put a pic in this thread.
apparently, im still too new to post a pic :incazzato:
so why don't you just break your next post into 6 separate posts? like 3 words a post?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
hey, wait a tick! why is a comet thread on the falcon section?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More parts on the 289. (Note the 3 holes of death)

PEPS. I bought some Ron Morris adjustable mounts because I wanted to make SURE the engine and transmission fit right. Apparently I have some frame mounts for sale. $60.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ooh, flappy things on a 289!! I want some police car sounds too!! WHEEEEEEEE EWW, WHEEEEEEEEEEEE EWW Eww eww.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Let's see, at the old site there was a message about the board being hacked and non-Ford related items being added, from reading what's above this board is already hacked...

In regards to the motor mount parts -

A qick glance at the small photos tells me you have the CORRECT 1965 (oonly) Falcon/Comet V-8 mounts which are the same as the early Mustang.

if your engine is sitting anything but level in the engine compartment TRIPLE CHECK that you have the parts of the motor mounts in the correct position. Putting the right frame mount on the left side, or left on the right effects how the einge sits, putting the right side engine mount on the left, or left on right, effects how the engine sits, totally mixing things up by putting all the parts on the wrong side messes things up.

First thing to do is varify the stamped numbers on the parts with the numbers you are supposed to have (most vendors list the correct number in ads or check shop manual). Usually with Ford the odd numbered parts fit on one side and even on the other, but I can't recall which side is which.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are some who do not share your feelings...

Been trying to get a Chebbie Cadiver (Chey Cavalier) running. Given to me by a neighbor because it kept breaking down. So it is a case of a person who has only worked on Fords his entire life trying to fix "one of those" which had been owned by a teen who "installed" a killer sound system.

In other words I had to strip 85% of the wiring out of the car just to get it started.

Thought it funny as to how many Falcon people complain about the fuse box location. The Cavalier design was borrowed from the early Falcon?

Ending up taking bolts and fastners from my burnt Mustang and replacing them with GM's whimpy metric fastners. I can see why GM was going bankrupt through the questionable method they used to assemble the Calavier, you can not service plastic parts held in place with plastic pins!!!

And to think I used to build tooling for the auto industry's plastic parts...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts