Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the color paint of the grey and black used on the deluxe dash? I have a complete dash that someone chromed and I’d like to redo it to look correct (or near correct). I am having a hard time finding quality pictures of how they looked, and what colors used.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone know the color paint of the grey and black used on the deluxe dash? I have a complete dash that someone chromed and I’d like to redo it to look correct (or near correct). I am having a hard time finding quality pictures of how they looked, and what colors used.
I believe that paint is called " Argent".---You probably want a matt finish. It was probably lacquer that was not polished. The raised edges were chromed plastic---in fact, i believe the entire panel was chromed plastic and the argent and black paints were applied over the chrome,

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I got my car they previous owner cut the gas and temp gauges out and put autometer units in and I had to buy a used one off eBay and it was in bad shape finish wise. So I used a can of silver and matte clear to refinish it. I think it looks better than the radio panel which is stock. I've attached the original and the new refinished one in the car now with the radio.

original.jpg

new.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I got my car they previous owner cut the gas and temp gauges out and put autometer units in and I had to buy a used one off eBay and it was in bad shape finish wise. So I used a can of silver and matte clear to refinish it. I think it looks better than the radio panel which is stock. I've attached the original and the new refinished one in the car now with the radio.

View attachment 46862

View attachment 46863
Well done. Yes, it is most certainly an improvement .Now you have to do the rest so that it all matches.
However, originally there were three finishes on that panel--the 4 ridges ( top, bottom and two in the middle) were bright chrome as well as the rings around the 2 circular gauge. The the bulk was "argent" just a little more gray than your silver, and then the black section in the center. Hard to believe the costly detail that went into the instrument panel on an economy car.
I just did a quick search and was surprised that I couldn't find examples of companies that do that work, today. there are some, but I couldn't quickly find an example of a falcon dash..

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did see a company that refinishes them but not sure the polished chrome isn't the only option.

The silver i used was an available touch up spray can I had laying around. It was actually a Volvo color. With the matte clear it looks good. I'll probably do all three over the winter once I find a color that's right.

I'd also like to put a small shift light in somewhere without drilling a hole in the dash. But everything I've seen is big and gaudy. With my 4:30's the rpms climb fast.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts