Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new oil filter as specified but the engines internal threads sit further back and doesn't alow me to screw this on. The old one was a bear to take off and I literally crushed it to get it off. I wondered why it was so old.
Has anyone else come across this issue. I buying the correct oil filter...so what gives ??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys...my bad...
Went back and noticed the rubber "O" ring from the old oil filter was still attached to the engine block. I said it was a bear to take off and had to crush it just to get it started to turn. Well...thats a big relief.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Don't feel lonesome
I bet everyone has done that
Question
Why didn't you use a Motorcraft filter
I'm an old stickler for OEM products if avaiable

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
The installation should be done to hand tighten torque.
Most directions state, turn 3/4 after light contact is made.
Tightening further means removal will be the experience you had.

As to filter brand, not sure about today, STP was a poor choice back in the late 1970s.
A Motorcraft FL1A is the correct filter for your application. Should fit easily unless some one has messed with the threads.

A Motorcraft FL1A has been used on Ford engines from the 1950s to the 1990s. (at least and maybe later) It is low cost and high quality. Walmart carries them if you want to get them for low dollars.

Action

71oFag3AmgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't feel lonesome
I bet everyone has done that
Question
Why didn't you use a Motorcraft filter
I'm an old stickler for OEM products if avaiable
I probably should have. The STP was what I ended up with. Since so many OEM parts are costly, the filter wasn't given much thought.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The installation should be done to hand tighten torque.
Most directions state, turn 3/4 after light contact is made.
Tightening further means removal will be the experience you had.

As to filter brand, not sure about today, STP was a poor choice back in the late 1970s.
A Motorcraft FL1A is the correct filter for your application. Should fit easily unless some one has messed with the threads.

A Motorcraft FL1A has been used on Ford engines from the 1950s to the 1990s. (at least and maybe later) It is low cost and high quality. Walmart carries them if you want to get them for low dollars.

Action
Absolutely !! I'll stock up on FL1A filters since they're so readily available. As you can see who ever had this project Falcon before me probably changed the oil but not the filter....which isn't very bright in my opinion.
On an unrelated note...I bought an aftermarket radiator. 1.5 up and 1.75 lower inlet/outlet. To the engine is 1.25 9n top and 1.5 into the water pump. Impossible to find hoses that fit. Should have known better. I managed the top hose but the bottom will end up custom with a billet adapter. Anyone else have this issue ?? My OEM radiator was 1.25 both ends on top and 1.25 to 1.5 going into the water pump. I can buy those hoses all day but not for the aftermarket radiator. Why they do this is beyond me...

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
My Mark III is similar.

The factory radiator has outlet sizes that are different than the engine side.
The factory hoses are sized that way as well.
I got a replacement radiator and it did not work.

So I had to get the factory radiator re-cored.

If I get a replacement radiator I make sure all of the measurements are exact including the hose out/in let.

Action

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Mark III is similar.

The factory radiator has outlet sizes that are different than the engine side.
The factory hoses are sized that way as well.
I got a replacement radiator and it did not work.

So I had to get the factory radiator re-cored.

If I get a replacement radiator I make sure all of the measurements are exact including the hose out/in let.

Action
I'm going to have to piece meal it together with a couple of other pieces and hopefully solve this issue. Even a flex hose doesn't come with a 1.5" on one end and a 1.75 on the other. Hoping this billet adapter and elbow does the trick. I'll let you all know how I make out with pictures. For the life of me I still can't understand why they build them like that and then say..." this item fits your Falcon....ya...in bolt pattern only...the hoses are another issue....

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Going back to the oil filter problem, fresh oil on the gasket at the time of installation is just as important as not over tightening the filter.

Reactions: redrag

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
good thing you couldn't get the filter on. iv'e seen blown engines from double gasket blow out
Had that happen to a friend at the Chevy dealer, new motor in a 6 month old car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We had a double gasket situation on an airplane once, blew the gasket out on the run up test and made an oily mess. While we were cleaning that up, we heard a news report of the space shuttle Challenger blowing up on take off. So it was a while back and I've been very careful about that since...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had a double gasket situation on an airplane once, blew the gasket out on the run up test and made an oily mess. While we were cleaning that up, we heard a news report of the space shuttle Challenger blowing up on take off. So it was a while back and I've been very careful about that since...
Luckily my filter wouldn't start because the threads wouldn't catch. The filter "O" ring along with the filter was so old that the rubber looked like part of the engine....right down to the Ford Blue paint. So as a reminder to all...check your old filter and make sure the O-ring is attached before installing the new one. And of course a light coating of new oil around the O-ring gasket helps.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
Absolutely !! I'll stock up on FL1A filters since they're so readily available. As you can see who ever had this project Falcon before me probably changed the oil but not the filter....which isn't very bright in my opinion.
On an unrelated note...I bought an aftermarket radiator. 1.5 up and 1.75 lower inlet/outlet. To the engine is 1.25 9n top and 1.5 into the water pump. Impossible to find hoses that fit. Should have known better. I managed the top hose but the bottom will end up custom with a billet adapter. Anyone else have this issue ?? My OEM radiator was 1.25 both ends on top and 1.25 to 1.5 going into the water pump. I can buy those hoses all day but not for the aftermarket radiator. Why they do this is beyond me... View attachment 47964 View attachment 47965 View attachment 47966
Uh oh, I recently ordered a new AM radiator as well. Guess I can expect the same problem. Please post what you do to remedy the problem and how it ends up. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uh oh, I recently ordered a new AM radiator as well. Guess I can expect the same problem. Please post what you do to remedy the problem and how it ends up. Thanks
It's not pretty but I was able to purchase a billet adapter and splice the 1.5" and 1.75 together. On the off chance that I'm not satisfied with it I was able to order a 22" flex hose thats 1.5" & 1.75 on the ends from Gates. Im not happy that my hose rests up against the oil filter. I'm hoping the ordered hose does what its supposed to. Not overly pleased with the top hose either but its a sharp curve so I was able to squeeze the hose onto the top radiator. We'll see if it holds up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That top hose looks scary
Yes....rhe top hose does look scary. The radiator hose in the block is a 1.25" but to the AM radiator its still a 1.25 squeezed onto the 1.5" inlet on the radiator. Finding a 1.5" down to a 1.25" hose with such a sharp bend has been pretty difficult to find without kinking the hose. I'm still trying to find one without going with a silly long flex hose that'll look out of place. This is all self inflicted of course by trying to save money with the aluminum radiator, knowing full well that I was going to run into issues with the hoses. The old radiator has 1.25" openings both top and bottom with only the bottom hose opening to a 1.5" to the water pump. You can find those hoses all day long in stock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes....rhe top hose does look scary. The radiator hose in the block is a 1.25" but to the AM radiator its still a 1.25 squeezed onto the 1.5" inlet on the radiator. Finding a 1.5" down to a 1.25" hose with such a sharp bend has been pretty difficult to find without kinking the hose. I'm still trying to find one without going with a silly long flex hose that'll look out of place. This is all self inflicted of course by trying to save money with the aluminum radiator, knowing full well that I was going to run into issues with the hoses. The old radiator has 1.25" openings both top and bottom with only the bottom hose opening to a 1.5" to the water pump. You can find those hoses all day long in stock. View attachment 48051 View attachment 48052
Maybe I'll just see how much a recore would run and bite the bullet just to keep the original as a backup spare.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts