Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
It's not pretty but I was able to purchase a billet adapter and splice the 1.5" and 1.75 together. On the off chance that I'm not satisfied with it I was able to order a 22" flex hose thats 1.5" & 1.75 on the ends from Gates. Im not happy that my hose rests up against the oil filter. I'm hoping the ordered hose does what its supposed to. Not overly pleased with the top hose either but its a sharp curve so I was able to squeeze the hose onto the top radiator. We'll see if it holds up. View attachment 48049 View attachment 48050
Damn it man!!!! I don’t like any of that. If the experienced guy that I’ll have helping me install mine doesn’t have any better ideas than that, my radiator will be going straight back and I’ll just buy the more OEM radiator that Mac’s sells for 3 times the price......🤔😡

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
Maybe I'll just see how much a recore would run and bite the bullet just to keep the original as a backup spare.
My original has a small leak way at the top and I’m told it can be easily braised. IDK, but I’ll take it to a radiator shop and see what they say. If it can be repaired, and it’s not cost prohibitive, I’ll have it repaired and pressure tested, checked for flow, paint it and put it on the shelf as a spare as well...👍

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Damn it man!!!! I don’t like any of that. If the experienced guy that I’ll have helping me install mine doesn’t have any better ideas than that, my radiator will be going straight back and I’ll just buy the more OEM radiator that Mac’s sells for 3 times the price......🤔😡
I may have saved 125 dollars with the AM radiator but that was quickly gobbled up with hoses & adapters...plus how much is your aggravation worth ?
Knowing what I know now i should have just spent the 253 dollars rather than the 133 on Amazon and been done with it....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I may have saved 125 dollars with the AM radiator but that was quickly gobbled up with hoses & adapters...plus how much is your aggravation worth ?
Knowing what I know now i should have just spent the 253 dollars rather than the 133 on Amazon and been done with it.... View attachment 48053
As they say....."ONE & DONE"...I should listen to myself more often instead of trying to "cheap out"..
Lesson learned....

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
Knowing what I know now i should have just spent the 253 dollars rather than the 133 on Amazon and been done with it.... View attachment 48053
Aha, even better. We all get our turn in the seat you’re in. Thanks for posting this, and the link for that radiator, I didn’t find that when searching. Mac’s had what looks to be the same thing but for over $500.00

I hope you get where you need to be without too much expense and frustration.....🤞

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As they say....."ONE & DONE"...I should listen to myself more often instead of trying to "cheap out"..
Lesson learned....
I replaced mine because who ever owned this before me jammed JB Weld onto the core as you can see in the pictures. For 253 bucks I should have know Summit had what I needed. Best of luck with yours.
500 bucks is way out of line. Im sure half that is all you'll pay at Summit if you're going that route.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
BTW, what vehicle is that radiator for?
170 to 200 cu. Inch falcon/Mustang inline six.
Mines a 200 ( 5 freeze plugs ) along engine block.
I have a 64 Falcon 4 door so I can take my 150 lb Anatolian to swap meets here in the Chattanooga area. Just took out the back bench seat bottom.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Nice Dog
This is off the wall
Can't you take your new radiator to a shop and have a downsizing sleeve put in it
Heck I was thinking PCV pipe with a good sealer to do it also
I'm about half nuts anyway

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice Dog
This is off the wall
Can't you take your new radiator to a shop and have a downsizing sleeve put in it
Yes...others have said i should take it to a radiator shop and have the inlet/outlets cut off and have the 1.25 connectors aluminum welded on. Sounds pricey but worth inquiring as to the cost of doing so. I'll stick with this for now but the moment it gives me trouble I'll be reordering from Summit.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
Nice Dog
This is off the wall
At the very least it would have to be CPVC, but still....NO. That wouldn’t work. But having a radiator shop braze something on may work....🤔

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
I had a re-core done on the Mark III.
Larger radiator.

In 2017 it was $110

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
The hose routing may present cooling system, efficiency issues.

If it was a V8 or had AC, I would encourage getting a better solution.
The six banger with a stick doesn't generate that kind of heat

Looks like the new one has a cooler for auto transmission. Which means the inside of the bottom tank is filled with a transmission fluid cooler.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
I bought a "direct fit" aluminum radiator for that same 70 Mark III. The space is limited because of other things on the core support. That direct fit is sitting in a box next to the car, The only way to get it to fit would be to use a hammer to install. It was an 1/8 too wide. Hit a support bracket and would have damaged the radiator if I forced it in.

Action

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Yes...others have said i should take it to a radiator shop and have the inlet/outlets cut off and have the 1.25 connectors aluminum welded on. Sounds pricey but worth inquiring as to the cost of doing so. I'll stick with this for now but the moment it gives me trouble I'll be reordering from Summit. View attachment 48057

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I bought a "direct fit" aluminum radiator for that same 70 Mark III. The space is limited because of other things on the core support. That direct fit is sitting in a box next to the car, The only way to get it to fit would be to use a hammer to install. It was an 1/8 too wide. Hit a support bracket and would have damaged the radiator if I forced it in.

Action
So much for "the direct fit" nonsense....
Just like the one I bought that said " this fits your Falcon"....yes...the bolt pattern lined up...but I knew full well the inlet/outlets were going to be a problem with the oversized inlets/outlets and finding hose configurations given the different sizes. Hopefully you can return it for the correct fit.

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
Just like the one I bought that said " this fits your Falcon"....yes...the bolt pattern lined up...but I knew full well the inlet/outlets were going to be a problem with the oversized inlets/outlets and finding hose configurations given the different sizes. Hopefully you can return it for the correct fit.
Unfortunately in my situation the answer is no!

I keep that car in Michigan at my sisters home. She is single, doesn't like cars and has a small barn in the back of her home. I ordered the radiator months in advance of my traveling there so I could quickly install when I got there. (I wanted to go to a show) It didn't fit as claimed. And it was too late to return. And I missed the car show.

That trip sucked

Action

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The hose routing may present cooling system, efficiency issues.

If it was a V8 or had AC, I would encourage getting a better solution.
The six banger with a stick doesn't generate that kind of heat

Looks like the new one has a cooler for auto transmission. Which means the inside of the bottom tank is filled with a transmission fluid cooler.

Action
Yes...they are not needed and I could either plug them or just crimp them since I have a "three on the tree" they aren't necessary...
Unfortunately in my situation the answer is no!

I keep that car in Michigan at my sisters home. She is single, doesn't like cars and has a small barn in the back of her home. I ordered the radiator months in advance of my traveling there so I could quickly install when I got there. (I wanted to go to a show) It didn't fit as claimed. And it was too late to return. And I missed the car show.

That trip sucked

Action
Yes...im sure it sucked all the way around. Dump it on Craigslist or something like that since its of no real value to you and use the money towards a "true" fit. A recore has gotten very expensive in this throw away world of ours.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts