Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on getting headers for my 64 Falcon. The shortblock will be done in a few weeks and while I build up the top end I want to start buying what I need to complete the swap. The car has a 289 in it now but I'm building a 347 with some APR Renegade 185 heads.

I want to replace the Sanderson huggers when I go to more cubes.

I purchased the Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 and will install it in a few weeks and run it on the 289 until the swap. I can use the 2 to 3 months to experiment with the port efi and have it ready to break in the new motor without having the guesswork with the new technology. I just corrected the z bar linkage and having 2nd thoughts on going to a cable or hydraulic unit as it's working fine. When I change the motor the z bar will go completely rod ends .

That changes the header selection as I was looking at Doug's tri-y headers but the ones for the automatic D660YA since only difference with manual D660YS is the tubes are spread for z bar. I thought the auto would fit better since thentibes have more room for subtle bends but not sure.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge? If anyone has the S model how do they fit?

I'd like to go 1-3/4" primary but everything I hear about the hookers are bang and fit, bang and fit.

Appreciate any experience in header department.
Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
All my cars are mid to latter 70's but out of curiosity what kind of clearance do you have to the chassis? I'm gonna be doing the same thing myself when I commit to a rebuild but I'm always hearing about stock starters getting in the way and possibly part of your steering assembly. I'm assuming you'll have a lot more room to work with but that would be my main worries.

Otherwise (as far as I know) if you just have bolt up compatibility to those heads you should be fine as long as there's fitment. That and some slight wiggle room. Would be an odd (new!) kind of experience to have header knock at throttle! I know that's not a ton of help from my end but I'd still love to see the results when you have your findings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts