Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the family heirloom 64 convertible after my parents split up & have been giving it a few things here and there.... the car always had a real bad exhaust leak. 2 bolts were snapped off in the head & the manifold was warped. i pulled the head, drilled & tapped what i needed to and refaced the manifold.. it's all back together and the only thing i need to to is setup the valves.

I have found both "methods" on fordsix.com to setting the rockers, but after many many hours of searching, i don't know what kind of lifters this motor has. one site says hydraulic, another says solid. anyone here know definitively? im thinking hydraulic because there is a very little bit of give in the pushrod when i tighten the adjustment screw, but this confuses me because i've also read that if i have adjustable rockers, the lifters are solid.

help??

If no one knows or there's really no way to tell without pulling the head off again and lifters out- which adjustment method should I use?

thanks!!!

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ed, i would appreciate that!!!

pete

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree, Ford engines became "civilized" in 1964 and most Falcons of that year would be hydro. People in North America aren't like Europeans who see automobiles as a major investment, therefore maintain their engines with solid lifters.

That's what killed the 2000cc Pinto engine over here (along with soft cams), people didn't bother to adjust the valve lash every som many 1000 miles. Used to be able to hear the early Falcons coming down the road before seeing them because of the valve train racket.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no idea if the motor is original or not.. im sure there's a casting somewhere i can check. it's been painted a few times (orange, then blue). one of the valves has been replaced & one of the pushrods was different than the others (not on the replaced valve). the starter had 65 written on it many years ago, probably from a junkyard. it's a toss-up i guess. here's a couple pics:

bah- need 5 posts, see below
my latest frustration is the exhaust donut. the downtube is notched for a donut, but the manifold is flat. i ordered a donut from advance and it was way too tall. i tried to cut it in half but that didn't work so well. i ordered a copper embossed gasket from summit last night, that should work.

old stuff is fun... and a lot cheaper & easier to work on than my dodge.
pete

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know the fe motors would use either valve train with either solid or hydraulic lifters. I am going to gamble and ask if you remember the look of the lifters? Solids look like they were machined from a single peice of metal but with half the center section missing. Rough description,but thats the best i can do

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the fe motors would use either valve train with either solid or hydraulic lifters. I am going to gamble and ask if you remember the look of the lifters? Solids look like they were machined from a single peice of metal but with half the center section missing. Rough description,but thats the best i can do
i only saw them while still in the block, i didn't pull any out (stupid me). from the top, they just looked like a nice shiny bowl.
pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is what I just replaced my 170 with
that looks pretty sweet Ed. with the car, i also got a long block 302 (in pieces) and a c4. I have mountains of learning ahead of me before it gets rebuilt and installed, but im looking forward to it.

pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, i set it up for solids and much to my surprise it started right up.

i was satisfied at the initial adjustments to let her idle for a good long while & it was rough at first but smoothed right out. after i was sure i had no leaks and everything seemed fine, i took her around the block, very slow. she has a pretty bad knock under load. i can't duplicate it in the driveway or garage. i guess it's possible that it has always been there, just masked by the lack of an exhaust manifold gasket for many years. though, I doubt it- i'm pretty attentive to the sounds my cars make. while i haven't had this one but a few months, it's been in my family since about 94.

i pulled the valve cover off and re-checked the rockers while hot... only very minimal adjustments needed. im going to play with it a little and see if i can figure out where the hell the woodpecker is. it sounds like its coming from around the #5 on the passenger side. it's for sure not an exhaust leak.
pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am hooking up the last of it now... getting exhaust put on sat morning:biggrin5:
what mufflers are you going with? i've become pretty fond of spintech over the past few years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
whew-

while i was looking for the woodpecker, i noticed one of the #5 rocker arms' weep hole was crudded shut. a little awl and some compressed air took care of that & my knock problem went away completely.

she feels good. slower than hell, but good. at last i have one of my toys out of the garage for the summer... now to get #2 out.

pete

·
Registered
534 Posts
if your 64 has a 64 engine its a hyd they did change mid 63
im thinking they are solids, I know like i stated earlier,ford used both valve trains with the hydraulic lifters, but if you think about it if you adjusted the lash if you had hydraulic lifters the lifters would automaticaly set to zero.
also i thought about your statement about one pushrod being a different length. thats not good news. pushrods should be the same length if the lifters are the same. im willing to bet your noise is comming from the cylinder with the longer pushrod. Granted I have no books on the straight sixes and all the info im drawing from is the "hou to rebuild your big block ford" Written by Steve Christ (1983)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts