Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I have a 64 Galaxie 4 door pro street project. We've managed to keep the rear seats while stuffing 33" MT's under the rear. Anyone have experience in this type of project? My first (and last) pro street car. I would like some advice on ideas and potential pitfalls of this project.

I have a small pic for my profile but it isn't coming up and I guess I need a few more p[osts to show pictures.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i was just about to start a project with a 67-68 galaxie 500 2dr fastback w/ a 289./302 respectfully....
i might be in the same boat (no pun intended) as you...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Frame work

I'll get some closer pics today. Here is how we did it. I was stupid for buying a whole tub/frame kit. The size of the galaxie allows using many of the factory pieces. About the only thing I needed from the kit was the coil over shocks. It also took custom ladderbars. We used the stock frame rails and will widen the stock wheel wells. This will allow me to use the stock trunk lid mounts. My trunk floor was in great shape and we'll be putting much of it back in keeping the rear seat and body mounts. This car seemed to be designed for fatties right from the start.

ai996.photobucket.com_albums_af86_64PRO4DOOR_Sept29009.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Geez! I thought you said you were gonna put some big tires under the back!:ciappa:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I guess size is in the eye of the beholder lol. Big or small, I like it!:smilewinkgrin: I know the MT's fill up the wheel well a bit more than the 14 inchers I got with it.

ai996.photobucket.com_albums_af86_64PRO4DOOR_Oct182009008.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keeping the rear seat...

I wanted to keep the rear seat without using a roll cage. Two heavy guage channels were boxed and welded to either side without a driveshaft tunnel loop. This design will also leave lots of room for exhaust to snake beside the driveshaft and out the back. Second picture shows just how big the wheel well is. The rear doors won't need any modification to keep them functional.

ai996.photobucket.com_albums_af86_64PRO4DOOR_5_12002.jpg

ai996.photobucket.com_albums_af86_64PRO4DOOR_5_12003.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a great looking build, I did not realize it was a Custom Galaxie. Not to many of those around anymore. Alot of them went the way of taxis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I hope that doesn't mean I cut up something special? I figured 4 doors and no real chrome trim to speak of, meant a low budget generally undesireable Galaxie. I passed on some two door cars for this very reason. Course it's too late at this point. Plans include shaving the door handles to enhance the clean long lines.
Is there a thread on here where I can post the vin # and maybe get some info about the car?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope that doesn't mean I cut up something special? I figured 4 doors and no real chrome trim to speak of, meant a low budget generally undesireable Galaxie. I passed on some two door cars for this very reason. Course it's too late at this point. Plans include shaving the door handles to enhance the clean long lines.
Is there a thread on here where I can post the vin # and maybe get some info about the car?
Not saying your car is not specical, but the Custom was the bottom of the Galaxie line. And most of the Customs were taxis, so alot did not survive. I like what you are doing with it. My thoughts about my old cars is that there are mine and should show what I like see and I will do what I like. Some will think that they all should be stock and others will not, I am part of the second mind set.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
bottom line version is just what I wanted. A lack of chrome makes the de-chroming procces a whole bunch easier. 4 door is just a bonus to being different. Why paint over a "Mona Lisa" when "Dogs playing cards" will do.
I'm with you on doing what you like. I initially got some resistance when discussing my plans with frame shop guys. They all wanted to go strip like with full cages and stuff. I went to several before I found one that would help with the unusual challenge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking good! All it needs is a Mayberry PD paint job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey! I hadn't thought of that! Pro street cop car lights and all. Interesting..... I wonder what legal ramifications would need to be considered. Anybody out there a police officer that may know the answer? I don't imagine anyone can just throw lights up on top of a car.

Actually, wasn't Mayberry a 63?

I'm currently considering a saphire metallic. I have a plastic model I've painted several time playing with the colors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have seen a couple of old Ford 4drs around here in Central Oregon painted up like old cop cars, with the old style round red light on top.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Real nice project. What monster engine's gonna be smoking those fatties?

I thought my 11" drag radials looked good. Those M/Ts just look crazy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am old enough that I remember VERY WELL the Andy Griffith series. In fact, I remember very well watching the pilot which was an episode of the Danny Thomas Show.

The series ran about 6 or seven years beginning in the Fall of 1960 with a 1960 Galaxie in the first few episodes before the 61 was available. After that, they had the most current model Ford Custom available at the time of shooting. In my opinion some of the very best episodes were shot when they were using the 64, except for the paint job, it was JUST LIKE YOURS. At that point they had been doing it long enough to be really good, but it was before Don Knots left which changed things quite alot.

I can't imagine that there would be any problem having a Mayberry Police Department Logo on the side and a Bubble Gum Machine on top. I would only turn on the Bubble Gum Machine when at the drag strip. Turning it on while on public streets would probably get you in trouble.

Mayberry police car clones have been made in pretty good numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the graphics readily. There are companies that produce graphics for police cars. Get a shot of what the one on the Andy Griffith show looked like and I'm sure you could have it made. There used to be a company called Sargen-Sowell in Arlington, Texas that supplied Fire and Police departments. They sold such graphics.

If that car were mine and I were building a Pro Street car out of it, I wouldn't hesitate one second in making it suitable for Andy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
There are alot of 460s in this area. I found a dozen when I was looking for a 390, my original choice. I thought the 460 would be high priced or hard to locate. 460 price was comparative to the 390. So...460 it will be!:ihih:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well its been a while, but we are back on the project again. I've have purchased a ford C6 mated to a BB 460 punched .030 over (513?) 10.5:1 pistons, roller rockers and lots of other goodies to stuff in between the fenders. A long list of parts have been ordered from Summit Racing including some nice Ford Racing valve covers to glisten up the engine compartment and a B&M Star shifter for the interiors new carpet. The frame has been rust encapsulated and painted thanks to my son and some products from Eastwood. New stainless brake and fuel lines are on the way too. We are expecting to roll the boulevard this coming july 4th. Pics will come soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts