Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front brakes on my 66 are getting worn out and rather than just replacing them I'd like to do a disc conversion.

I don't have a booster and it's the single chamber master cylinder. Not worried about going to power, not struggling as is.

I'm not looking to spend a lot on top dollar kit. I was more attracted to the Ebay setup. Guy makes brackets and you use 97 S-10 calipers and 68 mustang rotors. I found all other needed parts and total comes out to $450 using stainless lines and drilled+slotted rotors.

Dearborn's kit is the same thing minus d+s rotors and stainless lines. And still have to fab lines from master to caliper.

I'm leaning toward the Ebay brackets.

Will I need a dual master cylinder? Proportioning valve?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You will need a duel master. The discs need a much larger reserve of fluid to accommodate for wear. The other issue you are going run into is this. The pistons in the calipers are much larger than the pistons inside the wheel cylinders so that will require more pressure to make them stop you like they should. I would definitely reconsider the booster. You can get kits on Ebay or other good rod shops in the $350 range. I did that on my 65 F100 and it was well worth the money.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did my '62 Galaxie with the metering block rotors and spindles from a '68 or 9 T-Bird. The master was from a mid '70's maverick with no power. With new rotors, pads and master it didn't cost $150 a few years back. I got the new stuff from a local parts house. THEY WERE ON THE SHELF!!!!!!!!!!! The salesman came back blowing the dust off of the boxes. Try that at Autostone or Advanced Alzheimer's. Best thing I ever did aside from pulling the wheezer 289 and dropping in a '76 lincoln 460.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've also heard that '80's marquis and crown vics are good donors for spindles, brakes and all. Rich

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I did my '62 Galaxie with the metering block rotors and spindles from a '68 or 9 T-Bird. The master was from a mid '70's maverick with no power. With new rotors, pads and master it didn't cost $150 a few years back. I got the new stuff from a local parts house. THEY WERE ON THE SHELF!!!!!!!!!!! The salesman came back blowing the dust off of the boxes. Try that at Autostone or Advanced Alzheimer's. Best thing I ever did aside from pulling the wheezer 289 and dropping in a '76 lincoln 460.

My 26 T Coupe had a Pinto master and Mustang II disc on the front and 10 inch Ranger drums on back. No power. It had a pretty hard pedal. It stopped fine but I would never do disc without a booster again because of the feel. You really had to push hard in a fast stop situation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
992 Posts
Take a look at this site : Disc Brake & Brake Conversion Kits, Suspension Kits: Master Power Brakes.

I have bought conversion kits for a Nova from here and they also helped me out with info for my current Fairmont project. He told me the do's and donts, what size booster to master cyl. , to proportioning valve, ....etc.
They will even custom make parts just for your application and seem very reasonable too.
As for the flaring tools, I bought both mine (metric and english) at NAPA Auto Parts. Its not the SNAP ON quallity, but worked very well on my car. As I have both metric and english fittings to make '83 Fairmont stuff work with '98 Mustang GT stuff.

Good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts