Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this in my area: $5800 · 1965 Ford Econoline Pickup — Nextdoor

In case the link doesn’t work, the ad states:
65 rare Econoline Pickup 5 window, rust free, all original ready for restoration, inside is missing seats, body is straight, $5800 OBO clean title on hand

I asked about the engine turning or not - from the pic it doesn’t look like a runner.

What other questions should I ask? Is $5800 about right for a rust free body (assuming the vehicle doesn’t run)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Top side looks good
I'd put it up on a rack and check for rust including frame and floor boards
That's a rare one
and if it isn't doctored up
The price seems reasonable
I noticed it had a wheel change which doesn't mean anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah didn’t even realize that was a V8, thought it was a 200 ci based on the blue color. 🤦‍♂️

Guess that means the transmission isn’t original as well.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Redrag has good eyes
I saw the blue and thought the same thing
It looks to me that they started an engine change and never finished it

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I saw one of that kind at National Trails drags strip years ago with the engine in the bed
It would do some crazy wheel stands

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
To get the small block in there the engine box has to be removed and discarded. Which is also the reason there are no seats. The structure to mount the seats has been removed to stuff the engine in there.

With the six banger those were always front end heavy. Stepping on the brake real hard many times lifted the rear tires off of the payment. There is an authorized Ford fix with adding (bolting steel) weight to the rear of the vehicle to prevent this. With the added weight and power of that late 1970s V-8 I would be a bit concerned.

I don't think the price is too bad. And the seller is correct, they are a bit rare. Here is one that is six times the asking price

1964 Ford Econoline for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1318474

1965 Ford Econoline for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1297403

Asking price is not necessarily selling price

Action

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
in the 70's i was in a van club in tucson az. there were a few members that had small block v8's in early econolines. still had orgional motor box. my roommate had one of these pu's. never got to swapping the engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just heard from the seller - he thinks it’s a 289. I asked for a pic of the data plate just to see what it started as.

Worried about the no seats, motor box potential hack job.

We are frozen here in central Texas so nothing is moving. Not sure how responsive the seller will be and fully understand there are more important things going on other than selling a car.

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Top line
E = Econoline or E Series
10 = lightest chassis 4 X 2
T = engine 200CID six
H = Assembly plant
702046 = 2046 vehicle scheduled

Second line
Wheel base =??? Can not read
color code = 3
E100 = model series
D87 = trim code
A = transmission
??? = axle code

Third line
3600 = GVWR
85??
??
Last two are the district sales office

Action

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seller said he’s showing today or tomorrow. If he didn’t get to it today (high of 40) then he won’t get to it tomorrow - we have another overnight flurry and freeze scheduled. Gonna shut down San Antonio again. Plus side, might be close to 60-70 degrees in less than a week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts