Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 ford falcon futura 3:3 200 4 door automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 65 falcon future 3:3 200 automatic. Im ready to get rid of the autolite1100 carb and load o matic distributer thats on because I just can’t seem to get it running nice or run consistently. I read online the autolite and distributer have a lot of issues.What’s the best carb and distributer set up out there to replace it? I drove it about 30 miles a day for 3 months with no problems till one day it started having a mind of its own.I have put many hours into trying to fix the problem. Rebuilt the carb, wich made it run amazing for a week till the diaphragm on the distributer blew. Replaced it. Ran good again till one day it wouldn’t start. Found out that problem was just from being dirty in the distributer. Then couple days later started running rough again.I’m not a professional mechanic but I’m not and idiot either. With the help of two mechanics and the repair manual I’ve tried everything I can And replaced all the parts that should matter except the distributer and the fuel sending unit. Sorry for the long post. I’m just ready to get rid of the carb and distributer and was wandering what’s worked well for other ppl with this issue? I do have headers installed but I don’t think that’s why I’m having issues.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
There are some good Falcon guys that can answer your questions as they come aboard

·
Super Moderator
15,079 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Do not apologize for long post
First it is not
Second if it was ... a long post gives info that may not be available in a short post

If the originals are worn out replacing with new Would be my choice. Or cleaning if dirty
You said, "Ran good again till one day it wouldn’t start. Found out that problem was just from being dirty in the distributer. Then couple days later started running rough again."
You have a 55 year old carb and distributor, unless both have been cleaned and worn parts replaced yeah they are not going to work. What do you expect out of a 55 year old part?

Action

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought a 65 falcon future 3:3 200 automatic. Im ready to get rid of the autolite1100 carb and load o matic distributer thats on because I just can’t seem to get it running nice or run consistently. I read online the autolite and distributer have a lot of issues.What’s the best carb and distributer set up out there to replace it? I drove it about 30 miles a day for 3 months with no problems till one day it started having a mind of its own.I have put many hours into trying to fix the problem. Rebuilt the carb, wich made it run amazing for a week till the diaphragm on the distributer blew. Replaced it. Ran good again till one day it wouldn’t start. Found out that problem was just from being dirty in the distributer. Then couple days later started running rough again.I’m not a professional mechanic but I’m not and idiot either. With the help of two mechanics and the repair manual I’ve tried everything I can And replaced all the parts that should matter except the distributer and the fuel sending unit. Sorry for the long post. I’m just ready to get rid of the carb and distributer and was wandering what’s worked well for other ppl with this issue? I do have headers installed but I don’t think that’s why I’m having issues.
'68 and later Ford six distributors (no SCV, and replace the points with Pertronix Ignitor I while you're at it) plus a quality 1101 or Carter equivalent. See Autolite 1100 & 1101 Technical Help - if I still had my wife's original 66 Mustang I-200 that's the direction I'd go.

Reactions: ms fowler

·
Registered
1965 ford falcon futura 3:3 200 4 door automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

First it is not
Second if it was ... a long post gives info that may not be available in a short post

If the originals are worn out replacing with new Would be my choice. Or cleaning if dirty
You said, "Ran good again till one day it wouldn’t start. Found out that problem was just from being dirty in the distributer. Then couple days later started running rough again."
You have a 55 year old carb and distributor, unless both have been cleaned and worn parts replaced yeah they are not going to work. What do you expect out of a 55 year old part?

Action
Welcome to the FFO!

First it is not

Action
Welcome to the FFO!

First it is not

Action
i get what your saying, but just about every thing mechanical on the car has been fixed or replaced. New transmission,new gas tank, New fuel lines ,new fuel pump, new Ignition coil, rebuilt and put new gaskets in the engine( and had a machinists check the cylinders.) Distributer guts were replaced with new cap and wire omg.headers were installed, and the carb was clean as a whistle when I opened it up thinking a dirty carb was the problem..all in all it should be running. The only thing that hasn’t been totally replace is the distributer so it probly is shot. I’m getting rid of the single barrel autolite 1100 carb and the load o magic distributer. Wich I’ve heard of a lot ppl have done this for the same reason and would like some feed back on what model they used .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts