Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
20170930_163256_1506807832766.jpg
20170930_163256_1506807832766.jpg
Hi Everyone,

I now own the car my father bought when I was 13 years old.
This is kind of a sad story, but please bear with me on this.

My father bought the car for $500 in 1978. It was barely running, so he got it cheap.
It winds up, someone had the plug wires mixed up. Nothing else wrong with the car!

Since he had another car, the Falcon was put in my mother's name. So she had something to drive, while my father was at work. He worked 2 jobs.

My mother loved the car. Automatic, power steering, and it ran great. She used it to go shopping, and take me and my brother around. It was her freedom, she no longer had to take buses or the subway to go places.

I remember going everywhere in the car, when I was a kid, even when my mom went clothes shopping. I hated that. Especially waiting for her in Sears, while she tried on clothes in the dressing room, so boring...

We lived in Philadelphia, and had a summer home in the Pocono mountains.
And my Father would drive us in the Falcon, about 110 miles to Poconos, every weekend during the summer.
The car never broke down, or left us stranded, it was a 3 hour drive each way!

Then as I got older, I used to spend my summers in the Poconos, with my mother. And my father would drive his car back to Philly to work during the week.

Yep, all we had was the Falcon, and the nearest grocery store or gas station was 20 miles away!
That was in the early to mid 1980's. The car never let us down.

Such a wonderful time in my life, my late teens, and life was great, everyday was so nice...

Then my mother left my father, and divorced, after 25 years together:-(

Suddenly the fun was over. I had just graduated high-school, I was 18 going on 19.
And I had to get a job, and pay room and board, to my father, to help pay the bills.

The Falcon was parked in our garage, and my father never drove it again.
(Later he told me, it reminded him too much of my mother). So it just sat there for years.

About 5 years passed, and eventually, we all went separate ways. Sold the house, and the car was towed, and put into another garage, where it sat for another 30+ years.

I believe it was actually sitting garaged for 37 years, before I finally got it.

I got married, got a house with a garage, and my father was moving out of his house where the car was stored.

Anyway, the car meant a lot to me. My mother died in 2016, and she was the last person to drive it.
She died out of state, after having a major stroke years before, and was paralyzed, for the rest of her life...

Her car is the only thing left, that I could have to remember her. So I quickly said "Yes" I want the car.
My father was going to have it towed away for junk.

Surprisingly, the car was still in great condition, after being stored for 37 years. I guess being in a dry garage kept it from rusting away?

In fact, other than minor surface rust on the bumpers, it's still in the same condition, as when it was put in the garage so many years ago. The body is solid, no major rust. It was just dirty and covered in an inch of dust. Everything is still original. Amazing all the electrical works, even the radio!

Picture attached, is just as got it home, about 2 years ago.

Just found time to start working on it. Engine is good, cranks over easily. Lot of work ahead of me.

I just can't believe it has survived all these years!

I am 55 years old now. Yep, born the same year the car was built!

Glad to have found this forum. I hope to get her running again soon.

In loving memory of my mother, the car will be named Peggy, short for Margaret, what her called her.

Thanks to you all. for letting me share my story.

Dave

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
A very nice tribute car
Good luck getting it back on the road again

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Looking forward to seeing more of your memory.

>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
81 Posts
Welcome. That was a wonderful story.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Bob

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
87 Posts
View attachment 45368 View attachment 45368 Hi Everyone,

I now own the car my father bought when I was 13 years old.
This is kind of a sad story, but please bear with me on this.

My father bought the car for $500 in 1978. It was barely running, so he got it cheap.
It winds up, someone had the plug wires mixed up. Nothing else wrong with the car!

Since he had another car, the Falcon was put in my mother's name. So she had something to drive, while my father was at work. He worked 2 jobs.

My mother loved the car. Automatic, power steering, and it ran great. She used it to go shopping, and take me and my brother around. It was her freedom, she no longer had to take buses or the subway to go places.

I remember going everywhere in the car, when I was a kid, even when my mom went clothes shopping. I hated that. Especially waiting for her in Sears, while she tried on clothes in the dressing room, so boring...

We lived in Philadelphia, and had a summer home in the Pocono mountains.
And my Father would drive us in the Falcon, about 110 miles to Poconos, every weekend during the summer.
The car never broke down, or left us stranded, it was a 3 hour drive each way!

Then as I got older, I used to spend my summers in the Poconos, with my mother. And my father would drive his car back to Philly to work during the week.

Yep, all we had was the Falcon, and the nearest grocery store or gas station was 20 miles away!
That was in the early to mid 1980's. The car never let us down.

Such a wonderful time in my life, my late teens, and life was great, everyday was so nice...

Then my mother left my father, and divorced, after 25 years together:-(

Suddenly the fun was over. I had just graduated high-school, I was 18 going on 19.
And I had to get a job, and pay room and board, to my father, to help pay the bills.

The Falcon was parked in our garage, and my father never drove it again.
(Later he told me, it reminded him too much of my mother). So it just sat there for years.

About 5 years passed, and eventually, we all went separate ways. Sold the house, and the car was towed, and put into another garage, where it sat for another 30+ years.

I believe it was actually sitting garaged for 37 years, before I finally got it.

I got married, got a house with a garage, and my father was moving out of his house where the car was stored.

Anyway, the car meant a lot to me. My mother died in 2016, and she was the last person to drive it.
She died out of state, after having a major stroke years before, and was paralyzed, for the rest of her life...

Her car is the only thing left, that I could have to remember her. So I quickly said "Yes" I want the car.
My father was going to have it towed away for junk.

Surprisingly, the car was still in great condition, after being stored for 37 years. I guess being in a dry garage kept it from rusting away?

In fact, other than minor surface rust on the bumpers, it's still in the same condition, as when it was put in the garage so many years ago. The body is solid, no major rust. It was just dirty and covered in an inch of dust. Everything is still original. Amazing all the electrical works, even the radio!

Picture attached, is just as got it home, about 2 years ago.

Just found time to start working on it. Engine is good, cranks over easily. Lot of work ahead of me.

I just can't believe it has survived all these years!

I am 55 years old now. Yep, born the same year the car was built!

Glad to have found this forum. I hope to get her running again soon.

In loving memory of my mother, the car will be named Peggy, short for Margaret, what her called her.

Thanks to you all. for letting me share my story.

Dave
What’s the progress on this car Dave???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts